|man_made = mast|
|A mast is a vertical structure built to hold, for example, antennas.|
|Rendering in openstreetmap-carto|
|Group: Man made|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
Unlike a man_made=tower which is accessible and provides platforms, a man_made=mast only offers ladder steps to climb it on the outside. Often masts are built to hold antennas. High masts may be fastened to ground with guy wires.
Guys can be fixed with insulators to the mast and divided by insulators, if the mast is insulated to ground.
How to map
In structural engineering, mast is a vertical structure, supported by external guys and anchors.
This is the only existing definite feature that could be used to differentiate masts and towers.
Tags to use in combination
- tower:type=communication - transmission tower
- height=* - height in meters
- man_made=tower - a tower is free-standing vertical structure, which is higher than it is wide
- man_made=flagpole - pole to hold a flag
- man_made=antenna - used for some kind of antenna
- power=tower - for towers or pylons carrying high voltage electricity cables. Normally constructed from steel latticework
- power=pole - pole for overhead power lines
- power=catenary_mast - catenary mast supports system of overhead wires
- tower:type=* - describes the type of tower, mast or power-tower.