|man_made = flagpole|
|A long pole built to hold a flag|
|Group: Man made|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
Flagpoles are important manmade landmarks. Usually they are visible over a long distance. Some flags are signals (at beach for swimmers). See Emergency_(facilities)#Lifeguards
We map the 'flagpole' rather than just a 'flag', because a flagpole has a clear static location. Information about the flag typically flown on that flagpole can be added with attributes.
How to map
|flag:type||signal||A flag that marks a spot (like guard towers or places for first aid)||No Icon|
|national||The main flag of a nation. Usually found on governmental buildings.||No Icon|
Tags to use in combination
- operator=* - Who hoists the flag?
Identifying the hoisted flag:
- flag:type=signal/national/governmental/... - A type classification for flags
- country=US/DE/TZ/etc. - For national flags to indicate which country is represented on the flag (examples: United States of America, Germany, Tanzania).
- flag:wikidata=* – the flag's Wikidata item ID, which begins with a
Q(for disambiguating similarly named flags)
- flag:name=* – name of the flag (especially for obscure flags that don't warrant Wikidata items)
- flag:colour=* – primary color of the flag, such as the color of the field (for obscure flags or for renderers incapable of fetching or rendering flag images)
Physical properties of the pole itself:
- height=## - Height of the flagpole in metres (No need to write 'metres' or 'm'. Just the number)
- lit=yes - If the flag is lit up, e.g. with floodlights at night
Only distinctive flagpoles should be mapped. This definition does not aim on the small flags on golfcourses.
suggested by User:Chrisana13
- F4 Map – as a metal pole with a fluttering white flag (animated)
- OSM go – as a dark gray pole with a dark gray flag extending from it (static)
There are very few signal flags in the map. We will have to evaluate what tags are most useful to describe the kind of signal and the meaning. In a further proposal the flag can be extended.