|place = borough|
|A part in larger city grouped into administrative unit.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
Depending on the country, suburbs in larger cities are often grouped into administrative units called boroughs or city districts (see boundary=administrative); using the place=borough tag avoids name confusion in countries that declare districts within their states or counties (see place=district).
How to Map
- place=district for countries that declare districts within their states or counties.
- place=neighbourhood for a specific area within a borough or suburb.
- place=suburb for a part of a town or city with a well-known name and often a distinct identity.
- place=quarter for areas smaller than a suburb and larger than a neighbourhood.
- is_in=* - describes a hierarchy where the borough is located, the is_in concept is not needed if the city that the borough is in has a defined boundary way (see Key:place). For a borough, is_in can be useful to indicate that the borough 'belongs to' a city that is not strictly the closest city.