- 1 Proposals for the Trees list
- 2 Cleanup of tree list
- 3 Next cleanup - without translations
- 4 Missing values
- 5 Proposal: Sambucus
- 6 A preference for the key produce rather than trees.
- 7 Missing/wrong keys
- 8 Adding trees keys
Proposals for the Trees list
Use this section to submit new trees and berry shrubs
- I like this proposal. FrViPofm 14:48, 30 October 2009 (UTC)
- should that be 'hop_plants'? but should _plants should appear in a tree sub catagory?
Cleanup of tree list
There was a mix up of common names of fruits like 'apple' and the plural 'apples'. Also of the denotation of the type of plant: tree, and plural trees, palm/palms
Last but not least the list contains palm plants (coconut palm), shrub (blackberry, blueberry, ...)
Most common before clean up was fruit + plant type. Therefor the standard should be as this example: apple_trees (fruit + plural of plant type).
Next cleanup - without translations
The existing list with several implemented translations is a bit confusing. There exist already a list in French and Portugues and Japanese within landuse=orchard. I propose to eliminate the translations in the english list. The translations could be done in separate language pages, as it is common usage in the wiki.
- Done. Created also two language-pages in German and French. The old list can be found at Key:trees/list for historical reference. --Rudolf (talk) 06:56, 22 July 2014 (UTC)
- trees=oaks with produce=truffles or produce=cork
Already used values, missing in tree-list:
- trees=cork_oaks - IMO better than trees=oaks with produce=cork.
- Orchard has a distinct meaning, related to fruit trees grown for their fruit. It can be extended to some non tree shrubby crops, including cane fruit (raspberries, et.c.), but should not be used for non food production. Rubber trees, oil palms, cork oak et.c. should be excluded, if only because most English speakers will tend not to use this tag. I suggest that these crops be placed under 'landuse = plantation'. Indigomc (talk) 06:53, 12 March 2015 (UTC)
elder is the common name of Sambucus. It is a very common plant and many people search for it to produce e.g. sirups.
- Umm These produce berries and flowers. The product (note the T rather than an E) of syrup requires some processing. Warin61 (talk) 04:41, 19 January 2017 (UTC)
A preference for the key produce rather than trees.
I prefer the produce=* key rather than trees; as the same values can be used to indicate what is sold in a shop, the same scheme can be used for any farm, forest, aquaculture ... anything that has produce rather than have individual schemes for each landuse tag. Warin61 (talk) 04:47, 19 January 2017 (UTC)
Hi, for an OSM app (StreetComplete) I am creating a database of OSM tags for crops/fruits. Most of them seem to be under the trees key, that's why I am (also) posting here. For some background information why I am doing this, see: https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete/issues/368 TL;DR: For a new quest (question) in StretComplete we needed to parse data on worldwide crop usage and the results need to be converted into into OSM tags.
Going through the used OSM tags, I noticed some were missing here and some were wrong and could be edited by a bulk edit. The current database of OSM tags is here: https://github.com/rugk/crops-parser/blob/master/osmcrops.csv
- There is an OSMwiki page on produce that you may find useful https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:produce
- Also you might consider the leisure=pitch with missing or incorrect sport=* for your app ... the sport=football is one in particular that is popular but not correct in OSM. Warin61 (talk) 23:20, 3 July 2017 (UTC)
- First I'm just a contributor there, but as for the sports issue there is already a quest: https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete/issues/180 So leisure=pitch is handled. Do you want to say that "sport=football" should also be a question? --rugk (talk) 09:18, 4 July 2017 (UTC)
Used in OSM, but missing in wiki
- oil_palms (2nd most usage on OSM, 16.90%)
- rubber_trees (on https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dorchard)
- pitaya_plants (1 028, 1.26%)
- cherimoya_trees (144x)
- piper_plants (pepper and so on)
(or better tag them as trees=lemon_trees?)
- shal_trees /(according to Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shorea_robusta the name is, however, missing an "a" here: shala tree)
- Because something is used in OSM does not make it correct. A prime example is the above "strawberry_plants" as these are not trees nor shrubs. There are a runner covering the ground but not going to any height. Lemon trees are not lime trees either. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citrus Then the question of if something is a tree or a shrub, will OSM distinguish between them? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackcurrant Warin61 (talk) 23:09, 3 July 2017 (UTC)
Wrongly used in OSM
but more used than the wiki-ones:
- trees=palm is also there (379, 0.47%), although trees=oil_palms also exists (mentioned in the wiki), and there is "trees=palms"
- agave (104, 0.13%), the right tag according to the wiki is "trees=agave_plants", but less used
- also stupid: "commercial" (wiki warning, …)
- blueberry (okay, under "*berries", but also wrong als "*plants" is suggested)
- nectorine_trees (famous typo here, it is a nectarine; also putting under trees=peach_trees may be better; see EN-Wikipedia: “Peach and nectarines are the same species, even though they are regarded commercially as different fruits.”)
- boutique (???)
- baobab (wrong syntax)
- tamarind (wrong syntax)
- macadamia (wrong syntax)
- ananas_plants (should be pineapple_plants; maybe German did not know the correct translation?)
- kiwi_trees, AFAIK these are plants, not trees, but the tree tag is more popular; there is also crop=kiwi
- neem (wrong syntax)
- sapodilla (wrong syntax)
- manngo_tree (typo 4x)
- rubber-tree (typo 3x)
- palm_oil (…)
- christmas_trees (also wrong, AFAIK)
- fir_trees (what about this?)
- plive_trees (typo)
- fig_trees (is this correct?)
- strawberry_plants (crops=strawberry would be correct)
So the palm thing likely needs a clean-up and someone to decide what tag to use. And some others too. Also the trees=*berry_plants example you give in this wiki is strange, as you later violate this rule anyway by specifying blueberry, bayberry, bayberry as valid tags. And these do not even use the plural form…
- @Rugk Nice to get to know the StreetComplete developer. I'm also willing to clean this tag up.
- It would be better to discuss this on GitHub, but generally: Sure, PRs are always appreciated. In this case, however, put that data into a new file (maybe osmcrops_farmland.csv or so) and possibly rename the other one (osmcrops_streetcomplete.csv may be a good idea). The thing is for StreetComplete we only needed a subset of all possible OSM tags, see https://github.com/rugk/crops-parser/wiki/Inclusion-conditions As I said it is a subset, so you may also add the tags from the current CSV to the new one and name it "osmcrops_all.csv" afterwards, or so. --rugk (talk) 20:30, 1 August 2017 (UTC)
- And BTW: The format of the CSV may maybe change to include the "produce" value. See https://github.com/rugk/crops-parser/issues/36#issuecomment-319489300 --rugk (talk) 20:38, 1 August 2017 (UTC)
- https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/crop#values should now also be a little bit cleaner.
Adding trees keys
We are currently in the process of collecting data for the OpenStreetMap app StreetComplete. Therefore we identified some missing crops (or, in this case, trees), which we'd like to add.
See https://github.com/westnordost/StreetComplete/issues/368 for the whole project. Using a parser (https://github.com/rugk/crops-parser) we identified some missing crops. Before adding them, I'll list them here, so you can discuss anything if wanted:
Nutmeg- mace and cardamoms trees=nutmeg_trees orchard Kola nuts trees=kola_trees orchard Maté trees=mate_plants orchard Jojoba seed trees=jojoba_plants orchard Cranberries trees=cranberry orchard Grapefruit (inc. pomelos) trees=grapefruit_trees orchard
I've added another list for the crop keys on the corresponding wiki page.