Old discussion: Talk:Proposed features/Gym
Please stick to this talk page right here now for further discussion!
How about sport=fitness ?
This definitely is under-documented, but I think most people tag a "gym" as leisure=sports_centre + sport=fitness. I remember once asking how to tag this in my local community, and most people pointed this out. As far as I saw, the key sport=* tend to be used in a generic way in OSM anyway (e.g. sport=yoga). --Jgpacker (talk) 20:42, 30 July 2014 (UTC)
- I have two issues with that: --AndiG88 (talk) 21:26, 30 July 2014 (UTC)
- For me this would just as much cover my local sports/gymnastic club, which also has a small workout room, but that is open for like 2h a day for club members. For me that is a very different concept than what you would consider a gym, which is more like a distinct type of business. With just those two tags it would be pretty much impossible to tell apart a commercial gym and a sports club.
- "A sports centre is a distinct facility where a range of sports take place within an enclosed area." I have mostly been in older McFits here in Germany and they usually only have weights & exercise machines. That's it. I don't really consider that "a range of sports".
I agree in that it should be a value under leisure as it can be (but not necessarily restricted to) part of a sports centre. An indicator of private/public would be useful. Also give thought to outdoor placed sports/fitness equipment which is not part of a gym/sports-centre or other place (normally in parks, tracks etc). --Patndave (talk) 00:39, 31 July 2014 (UTC)
- private/public - Isn't that easy as you usually (but probably not always) need a membership, making it private. On the other hand everybody can usually sign up, so it's kinda public. But then you have gyms on a University campus or military facility, which are completly private. Not as easy as just public/private, but doable with something like membership=yes
- give thought to outdoor placed sports/fitness equipment - leisure=fitness_station --AndiG88 (talk) 06:59, 31 July 2014 (UTC)
- I also think leisure=fitness_station should be used for outdoor fitness equipment (in fact, I use it for such things). --Jgpacker (talk) 13:28, 31 July 2014 (UTC)
- As far as I know, instead of specifying a place as "public" or "private", people usually add the keys operator=* and operator:type=*. As AndiG88 said, public/private may not be self-explanatory. Using membership=yes seems good enough. --Jgpacker (talk) 13:28, 31 July 2014 (UTC)
This proposal is good
I have been wondering how to tag places like these, and among the myriad of existing tags, I agree that leisure=gym is good. I wouldn't mind using leisure=fitness_centre if people still have an issue with the ambiguity of "gym". But please, no more amenity=whatever. —seav (talk) 23:10, 30 July 2014 (UTC)
- +1 My impression was that native speakers did not like fitness centre. But if it's fine then I happily abandon this proposal create one for leisure=fitness_centre. --AndiG88 (talk) 06:59, 31 July 2014 (UTC)
- Ah ok. That's funny because it looks like you're a native english speaker yourself AndiG88, because in this proposal you've done quite a good job, of arguing for the use of "gym" instead of "fitness centre". In this argument you're referencing google search results all of which do indeed prove (in a nice way for german speakers to understand), that we do very commonly use the word gym in this way.
- however, personally (and speaking as a native english speaker) I have no problem with calling these things fitness centres instead, and so I think we should. "Gym" is nice and short, and it's the word we use in casual conversation (hence the google stats you're finding), but "fitness centre" is a good correct way to describe these things too. We can think of it as more precise language which avoids a lot of confusion. I tried to document the confusion on the Tag:amenity=gym (Don't use)
- ...but of course that page can end up being ignored or have discussion waylaid by the "leisure" is better than "amenity" thing (which I think everyone agrees on actually)
- It's all such a mess. But I think leisure=fitness_centre is the best tag
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 10:56, 13 October 2014 (UTC)
- Today I've been re-arranging a few things so that we have a page Gym / Fitness centre which pulls together, the taginfo stats, and the for/against arguments for using the word "gym" etc. Plus linking all the alternative docs and proposals.
- I copied from this page, the counterarguments in favour of using the word "gym"
- I'm a bit confused though, AndiG88, as to whether you feel strongly about that. In hunting down various pages I became even more confused to find that you created a documentation page De:Tag:leisure=fitness_centre a few days before writing this proposal.
- -- Harry Wood (talk) 17:09, 23 November 2014 (UTC)