Talk:Tag:tourism=caravan site

From OpenStreetMap Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

Clean-up discussion

In my opinion, this page is needed, to define the caravan_site tag. But it is surely necessary to expand it. I will try to do some work on this page (and the German translation). --marmai 21 February 2010 (UTC)

I think the page is better now. Is there more information for this tag needed? --marmai 06 April 2010 (UTC)

How should I tag a "caravan service"?

Is a place, like a parking, where you can flush the dirt water, and fill up the tank with clean water...

Here a couple of pictures of what the place is like.

note: image was replace for copyright reasons

In Italy is common to find places like that, you can find even street signals to reach them:

Post camperservice.jpg

Take a look at waste_disposal and drinking_water ! -- marmai 20 February 2010 (UTC)

merge with camp_site

Hi, I don't see a big difference between camp_site(with caravan=yes) and this tag. In Germany the most camps offer both tents and caravan places. --!i! 08:12, 6 December 2009 (UTC)

I think there is a big difference. In Germany there are parking spaces only for caravans, where no 'classic' camping (e.g. tents and other stuff) is allowed (see [[1]]). --marmai 20 February 2010 (UTC)

I think tourism=caravan_site should be used exclusively for sites that allow only caravans, and no tents. If a site offers space for both it should be tourism=camp_site; caravans=yes; tents=yes. Ideally, though, caravan_site should be merged into camp_site to avoid confusion, i.e. caravan_site should be obsoleted by tourism=camp_site; caravans=yes; tents=no. --F00bar (talk) 01:12, 13 March 2013 (UTC)
I fully support the merge. --Jan van Bekkum (talk) 15:41, 10 February 2015 (UTC)

I am new to OSM and have a strong interest in motorhome travel (NL: kampeerauto, camper, DE: Wohnmobil, FR: Camping-car US: RV = Recreationa Vehicle). As discussed above in many countries there are facilities (often exclusively) for motorhome users to stay overnight or for a couple of nights. Sometimes as part of a parking area, part of harbour facility or restaurant. Sometimes dedicated sites. I am at a bit of a loss how to tag these places. Tourism = caravan site seems to come closest, but in my opinion seems to be used incorrectly by many people. They seem to mean a camp-site. On the other hand Camp_Site is also ambiguous because in the explanation it says it is primarily aimed at tents? I feel there is a need for a separate tag. The Wikipedia term Motorhome Stopover seems to be closest. (NL: camprplaats DE: Wohnmobilstellplatz FR: Aire de Camping Car) Coen Smit, May 22, 2016

A very valid point, Tourism = caravan site is the correct option. It is however in my opinion not specific enough, since many sites accept only motor-homes. A tag such as "tourism=motorhome parking" or something like that would be appropriate. --Bnyboe 00:17, 25 November 2016 (UTC)

Camping facilities for overlanders

Camping requirements for overlanders (people who travel for a longer period (at least a few months) usually with their own vehicles (mainly 4WD's, trucks and motorcycles) and cover a long distance, often in developing countries) differ from the needs of regular campers. See camping facilities for overlanders for an overview. --Jan van Bekkum (talk) 15:41, 10 February 2015 (UTC)

Static caravan (mobile/holiday home) sites

How do I tag a 'static caravan' site? This would be different from a 'trailer park' as it is of recreational, rather than residential, use, but different from the caravan site here in that it is not for temporary layovers as the sites are rented and the 'mobile' homes fixed for some time. Often, there will be a (touring) caravan site as described here and permanent mobile home pitches in the same place, but it is important to differentiate. --Jmk (talk) 09:20, 19 September 2016 (UTC)

wrong usage of caravan_site

If I search for tourism_caravan_site in OSM, nearly all results shows up motorhome_sites, which are mostly not allowed to use with a caravan. So we have here a huge inconsistency. We should rename this tag to tourism_mobilhome_site and create a new empty tourism_caravan_site, because the description of the tag tourism=caravan_site [2] describes exactly the rules for the motorhome sites.

The picture shows also also a mobilehome_site

The pictogram shows a caravan: [3]

So we messed up here two totally different things. Any ideas how to get it fixed, I'm really new here.

I would like to insert some mobilehome_site places, but there is really no space for it.

Tagging ways within RV Parks

Should ways within RV Parks be tagged as service roads or parking aisles? I've seen both of these used in different places so I'm wondering which is preferred. Reidpelton (talk) 17:38, 4 February 2019 (UTC)

Motorhome stopovers vs RV Parks

Since 19-July-2014 this page has included a section about Motorhome stopovers, but it's rather confusing:

"Motorhome pitches are usually designed only for short-term (two to three nights) of recreational vehicles that have a closed sewer system and an on-board toilet (autonomous vehicles). Therefore, an RV parking space usually differs in the following points from a campsite: The arrival or departure may at any time, even at night, take place. There is no reception, where you would have to log on or off..."

This seems to describe a situation particular to certain areas (perhaps Europe?), but is not how this tag is used in North America. The wikipedia link was changed to Motorhome_stopover at that time, instead of RV_park. I'm going to edit the page to make it clear that this tag is also used for American-style RV parks, in addition to motorhome stopovers. --Jeisenbe (talk) 10:57, 10 June 2019 (UTC)