United Kingdom A and B roads
Page infrequently updated or archived|
This page is infrequently updated or could be considered as archived. The content may no longer be accurate or up to date.
OpenStreetMap has fast-growing coverage of the major roads in Britain - so now's the time to finish the job. When we have a complete A and B road network, people will be able to use OSM data for routing, to make road atlases, and so on.
The aim of this project is to complete all A and B roads in Britain and to tag them consistently. The list on this page is far from complete (especially in relation to B roads), so if you know of a missing road, add it.
- 1 How to tag
- 2 Hall of fame
- 3 Missing A and B roads - England
- 3.1 Buckinghamshire
- 3.2 Cheshire
- 3.3 Cornwall
- 3.4 Cumbria
- 3.5 Devon
- 3.6 Dorset
- 3.7 East Yorkshire
- 3.8 East Sussex
- 3.9 Essex
- 3.10 Gwent
- 3.11 Hampshire
- 3.12 Kent
- 3.13 Lancashire
- 3.14 Lincolnshire
- 3.15 Merseyside
- 3.16 Monmouthshire
- 3.17 Norfolk
- 3.18 North Yorkshire
- 3.19 Northamptonshire
- 3.20 Nottinghamshire
- 3.21 Shropshire
- 3.22 Somerset
- 3.23 Staffordshire
- 3.24 Suffolk
- 3.25 Surrey
- 3.26 West Sussex
- 3.27 Wiltshire
- 4 Missing A and B roads - Scotland
- 5 Missing A and B roads - Wales
- 6 See Also
How to tag
In the UK, the OSM rule goes like this:
- green signed A roads: highway=trunk
- black-and-white signed A roads: highway=primary
- B roads: highway=secondary
(It might sound confusing if you're used to hearing A roads described differently. Sorry, it's just how we do things round here.)
Hall of fame
Complete - A and B roads
Highland (User:Tms13) - also 'C' and 'U' class roads (i.e. all adopted roads)
(others to be checked)
Complete - A roads only
Cambridgeshire, Herefordshire, the Isle of Wight, Leicestershire, Pembrokeshire, the East Riding of Yorkshire, Gloucestershire, Hertfordshire, Oxfordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire.
Missing A and B roads - England
- Classifications may need checking on existing roads - especially Stoke Hammond bypass area
Depending on what you mean by Cheshire...
- around Warrington (plenty of GPS tracks exist)
- around Widnes
I think there are a lot of missing A roads in Cornwall. These are some that have been spotted.
- Redruth to Cambourne
- A30 past Penzance is marked as trunk, this seems unlikely
- A3075 south from Newquay is incomplete.
- A roads in Newquay
- Gap in the A39 southeast of Padstow
- A3082 to Fowey incomplete
- A387 Crumplehorn to A374 via Looe incomplete
- A39 from Truro to the A30 missing.
- Some A roads in Plymouth/Devonport may not be marked as primary.
- A388 through Launceston looks very mixed up - there is one section running through the town north to south and two segments floating around unconnected!
- Carlisle city centre
- A66 Workington to Bridgefoot (junction with A595) [added - but the re-routed two local roads which bridge/are bridged by the A66 have not been corrected]
- A593 through broughton in furnace. (Roads mapped but not designated. NPE probably out of date here due to new road)
- Designation of A595 between Greenodd and Ulverston needs checking. I think the northern part at Greenodd is green-signed (trunk.)
- Do you mean the A595 between Grizebeck and Dalton in Furness? Both green and white signs are in use. Possibly more green signs than white and the white signs are generally just modern versions of fingerposts. Ordnance Survey class the road as primary (trunk in OSM-speak). Our map probably needs changing unless anyone else counts more white signs!
- A590 Greenodd to Ulverston is green signed.
- A5092 Greenodd to Grizebeck is green signed. --Lakedistrict (talk) 20:58, 10 April 2016 (UTC)
- A5086 through Cockermouth. NPE likely to be out of date.
- A358 in Axminster needs checking on the ground (route into Axminster from Chard completed from NPE and connected roughly by TomH 16:50, 30 December 2007 (UTC))
- A383 through Newton Abbot (NPE could be out of date due to changes in road layout in town centre, pedestrianisation etc.)
- A352 between Sherborne and Dorchester (Sherborne end missing, connection to Dorchester confused/missing)
- A354 bits missing through Weymouth
- Believed to be complete
- A275 from Sheffield Park to Wych Cross (A22), and from A277 (Brighton Road, Lewes) to A2029 (Offham Road, Lewes)
- A269 Ninfield to Bexhill
- A23/A273 junction slip roads North of Brighton are incomplete.
- A4042 to southern end in Newport (adjacent cycle route mapped though ;) )
- A27 is mostly complete from Romsey to Brighton but is missing chunks and decent traces through Cosham
- A2 one way system in Sittingbourne - needs GPS survey
- A5085 Preston
- A59 Clitheroe - Needs dual-carriageway section sorting between Whalley and Clitheroe.
Click Here for the A Road section of the Lincolnshire development page
- A148 from Fakenham to Holt, and south of Cromer
- Main Roads out from Norwich to North East Norfolk (Yet to have name/ref)
- A143 between Bungay and Beccles
- A167 Northallerton to county boundary
- A167 south end
- A168 Thirsk to Northallerton
- A172 south end
- A684 Bedale to Northallerton
Complete between towns.
Kettering and Wellingborough need attention.
A6097, A612 from Southwell, etc... see here
- Roads in Telford area
- A359 north east from the A303 across the A371 to the A361 - I've just drawn this in using NPE --Graham C 16:05, 21 May 2008 (UTC)
- A371 appears to stop short of the A37/A361/A371 junction south of Shepton Mallett (this area looks very confused)
- Around Weston-super-Mare (North Somerset)
- Around Langport
- A37 at Ilchester
A5148/M6 Toll southbound slip-roadThere isn't one blackadder 18:01, 4 January 2011 (UTC)
- Stoke/Newcastle are a mess and need sorting
- A143: Pretty sure this should be trunk between Bury St Edmunds and Great Yarmouth? It's currently marked as primary.
- A143: Seems to have a random spur to Hundon that only connects it to unclassified roads. Another one that is likely wrong?
- A146 seems to end or change status in the middle of nowhere just south of Lowestoft. I seriously doubt this is accurate.
- A3 Hindhead will need editing once the tunnels open
Believed to be complete.
- note: A272 confirmed by WSCC to be designated as a primary route (despite mixed signage) for the entirity of it's length through West Sussex. Map yet to be updated to reflect. Daveemtb 12:06, 7 September 2009 (UTC)
- Westbury/Frome area needs work
Missing A and B roads - Scotland
Argyll and Bute
- Road along north of Holy Loch (north of Dunoon) to Blairmore. (A880?)
- Most of road from Dunoon, along Loch Eck to Strachur. (A815?)
- Road from north of the Kyles of Bute to Newton on Loch Fyne. (A886?)
- Road from St Catherines to Newton along south of Loch Fyne. Is marked unclassified; should be primary?
- Road heading north from Dunoon on the Cowal Peninsula is labelled A816. (Should be A815?)
- Road along west of Bute. (A866?)
Believed to be a complete list of missing, possibly misclassified, and unlabelled roads in the Argyll and Bute council area.
Definitive reference: Highland Council - Roads we maintain
All adopted roads in Highland (A, B, C and U class) have been checked during 2012-2015 and have Key:ref filled in.
Na h-Eileanan Siar (Western Isles)
- Road along Eye Peninsula on Lewis. (A866?)
- Road from Barabhas (Barvas) to Nis (Ness). (A857?)
Possibly misclassified roads
- Road from Luirbost to Achmore. Is marked primary; should be tertiary? (no A-road signage found)
- All fixed
Believed to be a complete list of missing, possibly misclassified, and unlabelled roads in the Na h-Eileanan Siar (Western Isles) council area.
Missing A and B roads - Wales
Ynys Môn / Isle of Anglesey
- A5, not complete, NPE tracing but gets fuzzy where it touches the new A55.