Valencia Drinking Water Import
The goal is to import and update drinking fountains from the Valencia City Council database, see: Importació Ajuntament de València (in Catalan).
In Valencia there were 210 drinking fountains already in OSM. As the nodes to import have no useful information other than the coordinates, it made no sense to merge them. So we will not import those.
- November 22 2019: We started the preparation and the discussion.
- March 16 2020: Sent de proposal to the imports list.
The original dataset is csv format. It includes a total of 756 spots.
We'll use the csv file for processing. You can download the data here.
We verified the data quality using our city knowledge, Mapilliary and orthophotos (PNOA and Bing).
The Valencia City Council provides information via Valencia City Council Open Data site under CC BY 4.0 with permission (in catalan). It requires attribution of the source, so all the changeset will include:
- Tagging: "source=Ajuntament de València" + "source:date=YYYY-MM-DD"
The import will be done manually, using the Tasks Manager, so it can be assigned to different volunteers.
First import data preparation
Data Reduction & Simplification
As mentioned before, the data file we have chosen is in csv format. Some corrections are part of the data conversion script. Some of the fields aren't relevant and will be ignored.
Here are the original fields, their meaning and how they will be converted to the resulting OSM file:
|Original Fields||Meaning||OSM tag||Comments|
|COORD. X||X ETRS89 and geographic coordinates depending on format.||X|
|COORD. Y||Y ETRS89 and geographic coordinates depending on format.||Y|
|CALLE||Street||It contains the name of the street. We are not importing it.|
|CODIGO||Internal reference number||ref||It contains an alphanumeric reference of the drinking fountain. We are importing it.|
To all the nodes, we will add the following tags:
We will use the following changeset tags:
- comment=#València_drinking_water_import and any notes that the mapper may add.
- source=Ajuntament de València
- url=https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Valencia_Drinking_Water_Import (this page)
- created_by=JOSM/version (This tag is created automatically by JOSM)
Data Import Workflow
Import will be undertaken by experienced OSM volunteers, following a strict workflow. Each volunteer will choose a file with a variable number of nodes and will import them to OSM, while merging them with the old ones they may encounter.
As most (if not all) of the volunteers will be Spanish speaking, they can follow the detailed workflow in Spanish language on the Task Manager.
The workflow will be as follows:
- Create, if we don't have one yet, an import specific user account. Change the OSM username to the specific account in the JOSM preferences.
- Load a task following the instructions of the task manager
- Check geo-location of the drinkin_water nodes.
- Check if the drinking fountain is already on OSM, we'll conflate if necessary.
- Once we have finished with all the nodes, we proceed to upload the new data to OSM with our specific import OSM account, using the Valencia_Drinking_Water_Import#Changeset_tags already explained.
In case of any trouble, JOSM reverter will be used.