|highway = secondary|
|A highway linking large towns.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: In use|
|Tools for this tag|
A highway which is not part of a major route, but nevertheless forming a link in the national route network. In developed countries it normally has 2 lanes and the traffic for both directions is usually separated by a central line on the road. In areas with worse infrastructure road quality may be far worse
How to map
To map a simple secondary highway you can just draw a line for it. Select all ways which belong to the highway and tag them with highway=secondary. Use oneway=yes when it is not possible to drive in both directions on the highway. Make sure the way points in the same direction as the one way goes, otherwise reverse the direction or use oneway=-1.
To attach more information for the highway you should add further keys.
- name=name The name of the highway, for example Skipton Road
- maxspeed=number The maximum speed, in kilometers per hour which is allowed on the road, for example 120
- ref=reference name The reference number of the road, for example R 372 or C 452
- loc_name=name The unofficial or local name for a road
- maxweight=number The weight limit in tonnes, for example 5.5
In the case you do not have a normal highway you should take a look on these sites:
- bridge=yes - If the highway goes over a street or waterway.
- tunnel=yes - If the highway goes below a street or waterway.