| highway = path
|A generic path|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
- If you are mapping Public Rights of way in the UK (specifically England and Wales) see UK public rights of way.
A route open to the public which is not intended for motor vehicles, unless so tagged separately. This includes snowmobile trails, ski trails, hiking trails, horse trails, bike trails and paths, mountain bike trails as well as combinations of the above and other modes of transportation.
These routes may have any type of surface.
The default access restriction of highway=path is "open to all non-motorized vehicles (motor_vehicle=no), but emergency vehicles are allowed (emergency=destination)". (Although it depends on each country what vehicles are allowed by default).
This tag is used for paths for which all and any of highway=footway, highway=cycleway and highway=bridleway would be inappropriate or inadequate (or simply not sufficient), but which are nonetheless usable for travel or navigation. They might be not intended for any particular use, or intended for several different uses. Intended uses can be indicated with the access=designated keys.
In 2007/2008, there was a campaign desiring to displace the tags highway=cycleway, highway=bridleway and highway=footway by the tag highway=path, the voting was clear in favour of introducing a new tag, but not in favour of the original desire of its initiators:
- 22 of 34 votes approved the introduction of the new tag highway=path, but
- 26 of 34 votes did not approve the depreciation of highway=cycleway, highway=bridleway and highway=footway, 23 explicitely preferring their usage.
|access=*||*||Access values are used to describe the legal access for highway=*.|
|surface=*||*||Additional information about the physical surface of roads/footpaths.|
|A difficulty rating scheme for hiking trails.|
|This key describes attributes regarding trail visibility and orientation.|
|For marking a way's incline (or steepness/slope).|
|width=*||number||Describes the actual width of a way. By default, values will be interpreted as metres|
Usage as a Universal Tag
Integrated in JOSM:
- See also: Highway examples
A path for bicycles, horses, snowmobiles, and cross-country skiing could be tagged as:
A UK bridleway could be tagged as:
Dark gray dashed lines
Black dashed lines
- highway=track - for roads for agricultural use, gravel roads in the forest etc.
- Path controversy gives explanation how this is different/similar from highway=footway and other types of ways.
- Approved_features/Path - the original proposal from 2007