- For other meanings of "Ground truth", see Ground truth.
|Distribution of OSM maps
This warning is for anyone who wishes to distribute maps generated using GroundTruth from OSM data: GroundTruth uses 3rd party cGPSmapper software to generate the actual .IMG files for Garmin units. Unfortunately the license for the free version of cGPSmapper states that the produced maps cannot be distributed for commercial purposes. This is in conflict with the OSM license.
The bottom line is: you cannot distribute Garmin maps made with the free / shareware or personal version of cgpsmapper if they contain OSM data. You can, however, distribute contour maps, since the original SRTM3 data is in public domain.I (User:Breki) don't know what the situation is with the commercial versions of cGPSmapper.
Who is GroundTruth for?
- OSM mappers who use Garmin units for mapping and who want their maps to contain as much useful information as possible.
- Non-OSM users who want to have free (and often better quality) maps of the world.
- Support for custom line and area styles - you specify how the feature should look like
- Support for custom icons for POI
- Map rules can be shared among mappers by publishing them on this Wiki.
- Automatic generation of TYP files
- Generating relief contours using NASA's SRTM data
- Generating OSM files with contours (a successor to Srtm2Osm)
- Downloading of OSM vector data
- Support for additional map features (like map transparency) available through cgpsmapper
- Conversion of national characters into the ones supported by Garmin units
- Generation of Mapsource preview files
- Registration of generated maps into Mapsource
- Automatic uploading of generated maps onto a GPS unit
- Command-line interface
You can download the latest package (or older ones) from http://downloads.igorbrejc.net/osm/groundtruth/. You need to have Microsoft .NET 3.5 SP1 (available here) installed on your computer in order to run GroundTruth. If the link above is unavailable you can download the program from http://web.archive.org/web/20160529005747/http://downloads.igorbrejc.net/osm/groundtruth/ (the latest version is 220.127.116.11 of 13-Feb-2013)
How to use
For a brief introduction please visit GroundTruth For Dummies.
For detailed instructions and FAQ please visit GroundTruth Manual.
- http://igorbrejc.net/category/openstreetmap/groundtruth - this is where news about GroundTruth are published.
- GroundTruth Driving Map - an example of GroundTruth rendering rules specialized for driving maps.
- GroundTruth Hiking Map - an example of GroundTruth rendering rules specialized for hiking maps.
- GroundTruth Cycling Map - an example of GroundTruth rendering rules specialized for cycling maps.
- GroundTruth Standard Garmin Types - a community-maintained table of standard Garmin types. The table is used by rendering rules to relate OSM features to Garmin map features.
- GroundTruth Characters Conversion Table - a community-maintained table of mappings between national characters (which are not supported on some Garmin units) to the ones supported by units.
- GroundTruth Contours Rules (Metric) - an example of rules for rendering contours in Garmin (for contours in meters)
- GroundTruth Contours Rules (Feet) - an example of rules for rendering contours in Garmin (for contours in feet)