Iran is a country located in southwest Asia.
This page contains information about mapping and tagging activities related to this country. Feel free to give opinions and discussions in discussion tab about things related to this page.
The Iran/Tagging rules contains a summary of mapping conventions specific to Iran. As much as possible, mapping and tagging should follow the conventions set by the OpenStreetMap community as a whole, such as indicated in pages like Map Features, Feature Index, and Editing Standards and Conventions.
If you have a goal that you are working towards or one that you would like to see get done (and are maybe willing to get the ball rolling) then add it to the list here, create a section where it can be coordinated and tracked, and a way of measuring progress. And then get on with it :-)
|Progress. what? who?|
|Mashhad||map||y!||excellent progress, almost done - Claudius Henrichs, Saeed Joolaee|
|Kermanshah||map||good progress. Hamid Saydi|
|Zahedan||map||excellent progress. - Saeed Joolaee|
|Kerman||map||excellent progress. - Mos|
|Tabriz||map||only main streets.|
|Torbat-Heydarieh||map||at the beginning. Saeed Joolaee|
|Birjand||map||at the beginning. Saeed Joolaee|
|Gonabad||map||good progress. Saeed Joolaee|
|Ferdows||map||good progress. Saeed Joolaee|
|Zabol||map||Main streets. Claudius Henrichs, Saeed Joolaee|
|Howaizeh||map||excellent progress. Saeed Joolaee|
|Lahijan||map||excellent progress. draw our country ,hota|
|Quchan||map||excellent progress. Saeed Joolaee|
|Urmia||map||Just began the work on main streets. siamak|
|Kashan||map||Marked the main streets, needs a lot of work! Emes|
- Boundaries with and roads to neighbouring countries
- Bordering city's names in different languages
- Farsi and English names for places
The country borders were imported from the CIA World Fact Book (WFB).
In September 2009 Claudius Henrichs imported the province and part of the county borders from MapLibrary.org (Link to Iran at MapLibrary.org). A new OSM-user was set up for this named iran_provinces. The manual import surfaced a large diagonal offset between ML and WFB data. To resolve this the country boundaries from WFB were kept untouched and connections to the province boundary data from ML were created manually.
In August 2016 a new project was started by Adib Yz to enhance the Province boundaries of Iran and also add County, District and Rural administrative boundary of Iran to the map. The source files for this import contains the most up to date administrative boundaries of Iran that are currently used by different Iranian organizations. These files has been obtained from Arak's Technology University under public use license.
See also the List of admin_level values for Iran.
Things that are done
- Random parts of Tehran, Mashhad, Isfahan, Karaj, Kashan, Kerman, Kish, Naein, Shiraz and Yazd. Mashhad and Tehran have much more detail than the others.
- Center points for random cities, towns, and villages (many of them contributed by Ali Parsa)
- Intra-city Roads
- Tehran-Qom-Kashan-Isfahan Highway
- Tehran-Karaj Highway
- Kashan-Ardestan-Naein-Ardakan-Yazd Road
- Ardakan-Chak Chak Road
- Tehran-Semnan-Mashhad Road
- Lake Chadegan
- Lake Urmia
- Island of Hormuz
- Some main roads in Eastern/Western Azerbaijan
Protected Areas of Iran
- On July and August of 2016 the boundaries for Iran's Protected Areas has been added to Iran's Map by Adib Yz. The source for these areas are the maps from WDPA and Iran's Environment Organization. The three major protection title that has been added are as follows:
- National Parks of Iran
- Wildlife Sanctuary of Iran
- Protected Areas of Iran
03/14/2009 - Roozbeh Gholizadeh Few inner roads in Aryashahr, Shahrak-e-Gharb and Kerman are added.
- Roozbeh Pournader
- Farzaneh Sarafraz
- Elnaz Sarbar
- Reza Mohammadi
- Shervin Afshar
- Hooman Mesgary
- Fran Boon
- Behnam Pournader
- Claudius Henrichs (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)
- Saeed Ghazi Joolaee
- Jalal Rohani
- Roozbeh Gholizadeh
- Adib Yz
- for names: http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/jog/iran/; Perry-Castañeda Library