|Access permission for canoes, kayaks, rowboats and other small boats without a motor or sail|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
Legal access restriction for boats without a motor or a sail. Examples include canoes, kajaks (both propelled by paddles) and rowboats (propelled by oars). In some regions this legal category has a description along the lines of "muscle powered craft", in the OSM-Seamark wiki it is referred to as "unpowered craft".
This category has the same scope as the category "Craft other than motorized vessels or sailing craft" in the UN-ECE CEVNI - European Code for Inland Waterways - (also used outside Europe either formally or informally , see Implementation document)
This category is mentioned in the following signs in OSM-Seamark tagging :
- Prohibitory sign A.16 ("All craft other than motorized vessels or sailing craft prohibited")
- Informative sign E.19 ("Craft other than motorized vessels or sailing craft permitted") .
This opposed to signs based upon other power sources, such as
In CEVNI no legal distinction is made between rowboats (typically rowing in a backwards position with oars fixed to the craft on a pivot point) and other types of muscle powered / unpowered craft which are paddled in a forward position, with a paddle that is not connected to the craft. Specific prohibitions may refer to limitations in length or width.
Access limitations can also be constituted by general access signs or legislation which might refer to on-the-ground factors factors such as date, water level, damage to the surroundings or physical barriers.
- canoe=yes – The public have official, legally-enshrined right of access, i.e. it's a right of way.
- canoe=no – Access by this transport mode is not permitted for the general public.
- canoe=portage – Used on ways where a canoe has to be carried over land from one stretch of water to an other part.
- canoe=put_in – For places (also nodes) where the canoe is transfered (e.g. in a portage) from land to water and vice versa.
- canoe=designated – The route is marked as being a preferred route, usually for a specific vehicle type or types.
- canoe=permissive – The owner gives general permission for access.
- canoe=private – The owner may give permission on an individual basis.
- canoe=unknown The access conditions are unknown or unclearThese tags should not be removed without replacing them with a better alternative.
List of possible values with further descriptions: see Key:access
- All used values on Taginfo