Mechanical Edits/Mateusz Konieczny - bot account
See https://matkoniecz.github.io/OSM-wikipedia-tag-validator-reports/ to see list of cases where human help is required and welcomed!
Bot edit usefulness
My idea is that automatic edits are OK given edit where
- human making such changes would not cause a reasonable protest
- human would edit in the same way or human would make more mistakes
- preparing program and discussing automatic edit will take less time than a tedious manual edit
- probability that human during editing would spot major issues not detected by validators is not significantly higher than during normal editing (human will spot mistakes during any editing anywhere, automatic program not spotting problems during editing is harmful only if unusually many major issues not detected by validators would not spotted)
- edit is accepted by OSM community in discussion (even if somebody is convinced that edit makes perfect sense one should not make if community opposes. It makes sense even if edit was really a good idea)
Overall my vision of automatic edits is that it allows to do incredibly tedious and boring edits, with less mistakes than humans. It allows humans to make more productive editing.
I consider importing addresses from high-quality sources, removing invalid objects imported due to poor processing of source data (importing objects marked as not existing), retagging building=building to building=yes to be good examples of such edits.
Assuming that address dataset is on suitable license and so good that after importing it OSM dataset will cause less mistakes than after surveying the area, why not import it? Except rare cases it will take less effort to do that and people can spend survey time on objects that are not easily importable.
Assuming that some large-scale retagging is clearly desirable - what is the benefit over doing it manually object by object over running scipt and spending hours of freed OSM time on something more useful like going on walk and surveying local area (or tracing forests or improving OSM editors or helping newbies or going through what JOSM validator reported).
|Note to self: avoid proposing worldwide edits! It increases chance of someone protesting because they are opposed to all mechanical edit - for example by claiming that editing is highly harmful by itself, because it modifies existing nodes/way/relations. With local edits there is higher chance of comments from people interested in improving their local area.|
- USA: talk-us mailing list and slack
- Australia: talk-au mailing list
- GB: talk-gb mailing list
- Ireland: talk-ie mailing list
Standard disclaimer, add to bot edit requests
In case of any questions about bot edits I will answer them (and answered all that I got so far).
In case of any damage caused by bot edit I will fix it (so far it has not happened).
I have experience with automated edits, see https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mechanical_Edits/Mateusz_Konieczny_-_bot_account for list of approved and successful bot edits.
Yes, editing element will cause it to be edited and change "last edited" date. Effect will be exactly the same in case of using bot and manual edit (which I will do anyway in case of rejecting this automated edit proposal). Note that in case of bot edits you may filter out bot edits marked as automatic.
- "Nowelizacja Prawa o Ruchu Drogowym wejdzie w życie 1.06 br. Prezydent Andrzej Duda w tym tygodniu podpisał ustawę, która przyznaje pieszym wchodzącym na przejście pierwszeństwo przed pojazdami, z wyłączeniem tramwajów, które z uwagi swoje rozmiary mają wielokrotnie dłuższą drogę hamowania. Przepisy określają również dopuszczalną prędkość w obszarze zabudowanym 50 km/h bez względu na porę dnia."
- Mechanical Edits/Mateusz Konieczny - bot account/remove Google Plus contact tags/
- this should be bot edit https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/contact%3Agoogle_plus#chronology : https://maproulette.org/browse/challenges/17024 - To remove contact:google_plus from objects https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/148Y
- https://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=72245 Propozycja automatycznej zmiany addr:postcode -> postal_code https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/16g8
Waiting period to give time for response or processing of external issues
- Mechanical Edits/Mateusz Konieczny - bot account/remove history tags recording revert as an object tag/
Waiting period - supported by discussion, all raised issues solved
This tasks can be started at any moment
- Mechanical Edits/Mateusz Konieczny - bot account/remove nepal_earthquake_2015 spontaneous_camp run on 2020-03-10 or later
Tasks active for a single run
Tasks active forever, until revoked by a community
- remove boundary tagging on ways in Poland
- fix link to parish Wikipedia articles on church objects in Poland
- add highway=bus_stop tag where only public_transport=platform bus=yes is present in Poland
- elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in Australia
- elimination of nonprintable characters at start or end of tags
- elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in USA
- elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in Poland
- fixing wikipedia tags pointing at redirects in Poland
- adding wikipedia and wikidata tags to elements with old-style Wikipedia links in Poland
- adding wikipedia tags based on wikidata tags in Poland
- adding wikidata tags based on wikipedia tags in Poland
- adding wikipedia and wikidata tags based on teryt:simc tags and Wikidata in Poland
- fix descriptive names on ATMs in Poland
- fix descriptive names on soccer pitches in Poland
Past, no longer active tasks
- fix descriptive name on cemeteries in Poland
- remove useless note=FIXME in Poland
- fix overly verbose Euronet Sp. z o.o.
- /remove tracking parameters
- /remove tracking parameters2/
- /fixing State Bank of India wikipedia links
- /removing five tags duplicates
- /remove objects that are not existing according to source of import that added them (USA)
- /removing is_in duplicating borders of Poland - is_in:country, is_in=Poland, is_in=Polska, is_in:country_code
- /moving 'name:botanical'='Platanus × hispanica' to species='Platanus × hispanica' for natural=tree in Poland
- /removing 'name:botanical' tag where it duplicates 'species' tag in Poland
- /removing four useless tags
- /removing nine useless tags
- /moving FIXME to fixme in Poland
- /moving building=building to building=yes
Ended without a single mechanical edit
- /elimination of associatedStreet in Kraków
- /remove is_in:continent in USA - replaced by https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/17504
- /elimination of osmarender:nameDirection - replaced by https://josm.openstreetmap.de/changeset/14916/josm https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/pull/6091
- /elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in Ireland - there is no clear support for this edit
- /surface=soil to surface=dirt (blocked by different people perceiving different differences between surface=soil/ground/earth/dirt. These differences are undocumented at Key:surface - or to be more precise - at Template:Map Features:surface)
- /surface=woodchip to surface=woodchips (abandoned due to lack of time, surface=woodchip seems to retagged by someone else)
- /moving FIXME to fixme (huge discussion ended without clear support for edit - note that this edit was later discussed in done is some regions), replaced by https://josm.openstreetmap.de/ticket/17809 and https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/6477
- /elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in UK (not enough time to do this)
- Mechanical Edits/Mateusz Konieczny/deimport landuse in central Africa, mostly East Congo - turned out that I misinterpreted situation
Not listed here
- Reverts of undiscussed mechanical edits - as explained by DWG - automated revert of an undiscussed mechanical edit may be done without any discussion and is exempt from Automated Edits code of conduct
Data quality issues
In some cases below mechanical edits may be useful. Many are fixable only by a manual review.
- migrate or delete millenium:usługi https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/ApL https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/5940049 https://www.openstreetmap.org/messages/717505
- https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/Dm8 https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/51979429#map=15/10.8367/106.7798&layers=N