Mechanical Edits/Mateusz Konieczny - bot account
My idea is that automatic edits are OK given edit where
- human making such changes would not cause a reasonable protest
- human would edit in the same way or human would make more mistakes
- preparing program and discussing automatic edit will take less time than a tedious manual edit
- probability that human during editing would spot major issues not detected by validators is not significantly higher than during normal editing (human will spot mistakes during any editing anywhere, automatic program not spotting problems during editing is harmful only if unusually many major issues not detected by validators would not spotted)
- edit is accepted by OSM community in discussion (even if somebody is convinced that edit makes perfect sense one should not make if community opposes. it makes sense even if edit was really a good idea)
Overall my vision of automatic edits is that it allows to do incredubly tedious and boring edits, with less mistakes than humans. It allows humans to make more productive editing.
I consider importing addresses from high-quality sources, retagging building=building to building=yes to be good examples of such edits.
Assuming that address dataset is on suitable license and so good that after importing it OSM dataset will cause less mistakes than after sirveying the area, why not import it? Except rare cases it will take less effort to do that and people can spend survey time on objects that are not easily importable.
Assuming that some large-scale rettagging is clearly desirable - what is the benefit over doing it manually object by object over running scipt and spending hours of freed OSM time on something more useful like going on walk and surveying local area (or tracing forests or improving OSM editors or helping newbies or going through what JOSM validator reported).
- moving 'name:botanical'='Juglans regia' to species='Juglans regia' for natural=tree ( https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/name%3Abotanical#values )
- /moving FIXME to fixme - potential editing starts no earlier than on 2018-07-16 (no earlier than end of an on-topic discussion + 2 weeks [excludes support comments without proposals to further modify the edit])
- /moving NOTE to note
- /moving FIXME to fixme in Poland - approval considered valid until 2018-12-12
- /elimination of old-style Wikipedia links in Poland
- /fixing wikipedia tags pointing at redirects in Poland
- /adding wikipedia and wikidata tags to elements with old-style Wikipedia links in Poland
- /adding wikipedia tags based on wikidata tags in Poland
- /adding wikidata tags based on wikipedia tags in Poland
- /adding wikipedia and wikidata tags based on teryt:simc tags and Wikidata in Poland
Past, no longer active tasks
- Mechanical Edits/Mateusz Konieczny - bot account/moving building=building to building=yes (building=building retagged to building=yes)
Ended without a single mechanical edit
- /surface=soil to surface=dirt (blocked by different people perceiving different differences between surface=soil/ground/earth/dirt. These differences are undocumented at Key:surface - or to be more precise - at Template:Map Features:surface)
- /surface=woodchip to surface=woodchips (abandoned due to lack of time, surface=woodchip seems to retagged by someone else)
Not listed here
- Reverts of undiscussed mechanical edits - as explained by DWG - automated revert of an undiscussed mechanical edit may be done without any discussion and is exempt from Automated Edits code of conduct
- migrate or delete millenium:usługi https://overpass-turbo.eu/s/ApL https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/5940049 https://www.openstreetmap.org/messages/717505
- https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/name%3Abotanical#values - JOSM complains, maybe it also should be ratagged? name:botanical=*
- 3k+ of'internet_access'=no and 'internet_access:fee'=no http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/A1l http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/A1b
- https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/37465357#map=16/10.6106/14.3987&layers=N via https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/reports/frequently_used_keys_without_wiki_page
(at least 3k cases where double tagged with leisure=swimming_pool)