About this page
This page controls the contents of the navigation sidebar on the left, but it can only be edited by wiki sysops
To provide translations to the links on the side bar, please edit language specific versions of these messages:
- Main Page (URL)
- The map (URL)
- Map features (URL)
- Contributors (URL)
- Help (URL)
- Blogs (URL)
- Shop (URL)
- Donations (URL)
- Recent changes (URL)
Obviously the links appearing there, have a knock-on effect as to which pages are regarded as the most important pages of the wiki. I'd like to propose renaming some of these links, particularly (and perhaps most controversially) 'Community Portal'. I feel it is a bad name for what we are using the page for.
Maybe we need to assemble some ideas for page names, perhaps over at WikiProject Cleanup/Structure, and if people seem happy, then we'll need one of the sysops to make the change. -- Harry Wood 10:28, 15 May 2007 (BST)
- Hmmm. So much for discussion. It's been changed.
- I don't like the fact that 'Recent Changes' link is way down the bottom now. Recent changes is where the wiki community needs to gather to see what's happening. The link is tucked away down the bottom now.
- -- Harry Wood 10:39, 29 June 2007 (BST)
- OK I've been given wiki 'sysop' permissions so I was able to change this.
- I put recent changes as a separate box above, which I think works quite well (it is a very important page on a wiki after all)
- To slim down the list of link there, I decided to remove 'random page' since it's not that useful (maybe more useful on a flat structured encyclopedia)
- ...and also the link to Current Events since this is shown on the main page, which seems prominent enough.
- Suggestions for improvement?
- I'm thinking 'blog' and 'The map' feel a little incongruous because they are external links out of the wiki.
- -- Harry Wood 23:21, 1 July 2007 (BST)
- That's an old discussion from 2007. Below there are newer suggestions for restructuring the side-bar as it is now. -- Harry Wood 12:17, 24 March 2012 (UTC)
Search on top
I would like to find "Search" on the top of the sidebar, like in Wikipedia (instead of "lastchanges" with is rather a tool).
Also in openstreetmap.org I would like to find "Search" on the top of the sidebar. (On small displays, now you have first to scroll to find the "Search"-field...)
Thanks, --Markus 11:47, 14 June 2009 (UTC)
- That was 2009. Search now appears more prominently in the top right, ever since we swapped to a new 'Vector' skin for MediaWiki. - Harry Wood 12:17, 24 March 2012 (UTC)
SideBar's Links Localisation
Links in the SideBar with 'not EN' National settings go to Main_Page, but must go to xx:Main_Page
May be need change string 'mainpage|mainpage' to 'mainpage-url|mainpage' ?
Then create pages: /MediaWiki:mainpage-url/xx for national links and put inside string "xx:Main_Page"?
Anybody know way to localising links in SideBar? --Calibrator 10:04, 14 October 2009 (UTC)
- Work out how to implement it cleanly in wiki syntax + test it and I'll push it live -- firefishy 12:35, 14 October 2009 (UTC)
- I don't know way to localising Links in Left Side Bar, sorry :( May be wiki-admin can made localisable links? I'll can translate them to Russian only. --Calibrator 13:05, 14 October 2009 (UTC)
- In accordance with http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:$wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsg, it need change only one string in LocalSettings.php file. Never edit DefaultSettings.php; copy appropriate lines to LocalSettings.php instead and amend them as appropriate.
$wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsg = array();
- change to
$wgForceUIMsgAsContentMsg = array( 'mainpage-url', 'portal-url', 'mapfeatures-url', 'helppage' );
- Anybody can do it? --Calibrator 10:21, 16 October 2009 (UTC)
Looking at the wiki sidebar I thought it was very confusing and hard to scan over. So here is a suggestion how to restructure it:
I am not sure about the Recent Changes placement though. I do not think it should be as prominent as currently. I have visitors, not existing power-users who would actually use it in mind. As last option it has nice focus in my opinion.
Also just now I realise inconsistent capitalisation.
What do you think? HannesHH 21:30, 25 August 2010 (BST)
- A very good suggestion and much better than the current structure. Actually, some of the entries could be removed entirely (Recent Changes, for example, isn't that useful, and the Shop would at least need some cleanup to be attractive), but it's probably less controversial to just adopt the improved categorization. The current separation - wiki pages, Special: pages and, for some reason, Recent changes as a separate category - never seemed to make much sense. --Tordanik 11:10, 4 October 2010 (BST)
- Well actually "Recent changes" used to be the most useful link once upon a time, but as wiki editing traffic passed a certain level, a couple of years ago, it's no longer useful (except to admire the editing traffic levels) It's also looks a bit more odd as a separate section with the new "vector" skin design. -- Harry Wood 02:06, 12 October 2010 (BST)
- This is realy nice, like the style you ordered the items by priority --!i! 13:28, 4 October 2010 (BST)
More discussion over at http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/HannesHH/diary/11960
As a first step I've proposed the rename of the main page. See Talk:Main Page#Rename this page / suppress the title -- Harry Wood 02:06, 12 October 2010 (BST)
- Moved here from talk:Main Page
Can we have a bit of a review of the side bar?
I would suggest the following tweeks:
- Change 'Blog' to 'Blogs' given that it goes to a list of blogs.
- Change 'Shop' to 'Merchandise' given that this is the title of the article to which it links.
- Move the 'Help:Contents' page to 'Help' so that it matched up with the link (keep the sidebar text the same, change the link)
Also.... should we try to create some better consistency between the sidebar on the main map page and the sidebar on the wiki? Here are some of the inconsistencies. I am not at this stage suggesting what we do about them:
- 'Blog' on the wiki, 'Community Blogs' on the map page, which link to different places.
- 'Help' on the wiki, 'Help centre' on the map page, which link to different places.
- 'Foundation' on the map page, no mention on the wiki sidebar.
- 'Copyright and license' on the map page, no mention on the wiki sidebar.
- 'Donations' on the wiki side bar, no mention on the main page. Why not!
-- PeterIto 19:22, 23 March 2012 (UTC)