Mexico Main Road Network Import Project
|OSM-Mexico Telegram channel
|Learn to map
|Code of Conduct
This page proposes a partial, strictly community guided manual import of road network data recently released by INEGI.
Import Plan Outline
- Take inventory of the available data and do analysis on completeness / attributes etc: INEGI_Datasets
- Develop an import procedure + tools: INEGI_Import_Workflow
- Make the import available to the community through OSM Tasking Manager
- Process the import + organize events + publish
- To enhance the current OSM road network for the country of Mexico with open data made available
- To strengthen the Mexican OSM community
- Data catalog and analysis - Q1, 2015
- Attribute Translation - Q1, 2015
- Tool development - Q2, 2015
- Release changesets to community for processing - Q3, 2015
- Community validation and import - Q3 2015 and onwards
See here for the original open data license.
- Type of license: LIBRE USO MX
- Link to permission (if required): N/
- OSM attribution (if required): INEGI
- ODbL Compliance verified: Yes
OSM Data Files
The OSM data files will be delivered on a per-area bases in the form of JOSM XML files.
This will be a one-time import using a combination of methods and tools:
- An automated process for converting and pre-processing the data.
- An automated process for conflating the data with the existing OSM data and outputting OSM change files.
- Manual checking, uploading and validation of the resulting OSM change files using the OSM Tasking Manager, via JOSM
Data Reduction & Simplification
Conversion and translation
The source data is in Shapefile format and contains attributes that either need to be translated to OSM tags, or discarded if they are redundant. The attribute mapping is described in detail in the next section. These are the attributes present in the INEGI source data
|RNC ATTRIBUTE TO OSM MAPPING
|tipo de vialidad
|type of road
|nombre de vialidad
|numero de carretera
|number of road
tipo de superficie de rodamiento
|type of road surface
|material de superfici de rodamiento
|superficial bearing material
|numero de vias vehiculares
|number of vehicular roads
|estatus para servicio de ruteo
|status for service routing
|condicion de la vialidad
|condition of roads
|datao para distinguir desniveles
|distinguishing unevenness data
|pago por derecho de transito
|payment by right of transit
|senditod de circulacion vehiculr
|vehicular circulation direction
|velocidad para ruteo
Describe the transformations you'll need to conduct, the tools you're using, and any specific configurations or code that will be used in the transformation.
Data Transformation Results
The JOSM XML files will be made available through an instance of the OSM Tasking Manager.
Data Merge Workflow
- The development and testing of the custom tools for conflation will be done by the Telenav OSM team. Intermediary results will be made available to the community to assess. Important decisions regarding attribute mapping and conflation will be evaluated with the community.
- Martijn van Exel (talk) will arrange for an instance of the Tasking Manager to be made available, and the job defined and created.
- The actual import will be a MX and global community effort, with help and guidance from Telenav where needed. The Telenav Map Analyst team will participate in the import.
The OSM Tasking Manager has built in QA through the validation step. Also, import team members will review the progress and work systematically.