Organised Editing/Activities/Operation Fistula
Operation Fistula  is a non-profit organization helping women with obstetric fistula. Map data are used to coordinate field activities, and resources are put together to improve OpenStreetMap. The organization has as an experienced remote mapping team, and field team collecting data to be added to OSM.
From March 2020 to December 2021, Operation Fistula's mapping team worked in the regions of SAVA and Vatovavy Fitovinany (now split into Vatovavy region and Fitovinany region) in the eastern coast of Madagascar. And starting from February 2022, the team is working on the region of Analamanga, in the central part of the island.
Starting from October 2022, mapping is being done in the regions of Kolda and Sédhiou in Sénégal as part of a collaboration with Tostan .
For any question, contact Dolly at email@example.com. You can also use local mailing lists and changeset comments.
Comments of changesets sent within the frame of the activity contain the hashtag #opfistula.
- Changeset comments sent within the frame of FREE project in Madagascar contain the hashtags #opfistula and #projectfree
- Changeset comments sent within the frame of the collaboration between Operation Fistula and Tostan in Sénégal contain the hashtags #opfistula and #tostan
Mapping activities in Madagascar started on March 2020 and ended on December 2022.
Mapping activities in Sénégal started on October 2022.
The remote mapping team mainly uses JOSM to edit OSM.
The field team uses OsmAnd and field papers.
OSM users who are currently working in our team:
- andraina (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)
- Ang96 (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)
- dialloalpha (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.) (validator)
- nanou1 (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)
- Narindra Fidintsoa (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)
- Norike12 (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)
- nyainariantsoa (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)
- Privatemajory (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.) (coordinator)
OSM users who have worked with us in the past:
- Borisy (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)
- Fanevanjanahary (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)
- Laden09 (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)
- Rinah (on osm, edits, contrib, heatmap, chngset com.)
We're only hiring experienced mappers so we don't need to provide basic OSM editing trainings.
Our specific mapping instructions can be found on this GitHub page and are partly based on these resources:
- "Good Practice"
- “JOSM - detailed editing” on LearnOSM 
- “Madagascar tagging guidelines”
Our mapping is coordinated through the HOT Tasking Manager, making it easier to check the completeness and the quality of the data.
Before sending edits to OpenStreetMap, every mapper will check errors with JOSM Validator and try to fix all errors and warnings.
Every time a tasking manager project is finished, overall cleanups and error fixes are once again done (through JOSM and Osmose) to make sure data from all tasks are coherent.
Quarterly data analyses are performed on all areas that have been mapped since the start of the project to detect and fix further errors and anomalies. For more details about our quality assurance process, please see Operation Fistula Madagascar Mapping/Quality Assurance.
Please see this Tableau Public visualization for statistics about our OpenStreetMap edits as of 18 December 2020. As a summary, Operation Fistula's mapping team has covered 18,123 km², sent 21,253 OSM changesets and made 9,868,363 map changes including:
- 731,351 new buildings (building=*)
- 39,765 km of roads, tracks and footpaths (highway=*)
- 1,025 km² of field areas, mostly rice fields (landuse=farmland)
- 273.6 km² of water surface and wetlands (natural=water and natural=wetland)
As of 28 November 2021 (combined with 2020), Operation Fistula's mapping team has covered a total of 40,570 km² including :
- the whole SAVA region (23,800 km²)
- 5 of the 6 districts in then Vatovavy Fitovinany region: Ikongo, Manakara, Nosy Varika and Vohipeno (16,770 km²)
A total of 23,606,392 map changes have been made on OpenStreetMap that have created or edited :
- 1,673,778 buildings (building=*)
- 189,711 km of roads, tracks and footpaths (highway=*)
- 33,554 km of water course (waterway=*)
- 141,604 field areas (landuse=farmland), mostly rice fields, with a total perimeter of 96,218 km
- 22,211 wetland areas (natural=wetland) with a total perimeter of 26,352 km
- 2,905 water body areas (natural=water), with a total perimeter of 8,118 km
Data collected by field workers have allowed the creation or editing of:
- 3,836 place names (place=*)
- 626 schools (amenity=school)
- 241 government offices (office=government)
- 268 health facilities, including 1 CHRR, 4 CHRD's, 160 CSB2's and 60 CSB1's
- 72 churches and mosques (amenity=place_of_worship)
- 22 places of market (amenity=marketplace)
A report [FR] of the mapping project in the SAVA and Vatovavy Fitovinany regions from March 2020 to December 2021, can be found here.
From February to November 2022, Operation Fistula's mapping team worked on the region of Analamanga, Madagascar. By 29 November 2022, a total area of 15,934 km², roughly 90% of Analamanga's area had been covered, that can be broken down as follows:
- 100% of the areas of Andramasina, Anjozorobe and Manjakandriana districts
- 94% of Ambohidratrimo district
- 83% of Ankazobe district
- 29% of Antananarivo Atsimondrano district
- 54% of Antananarivo Avaradrano district
On OpenStreetMap, 13,099,758 map changes have been made in 2022, with the following objects edited :