Proposed features/boundary=border zone
|Proposed by:||One half 3544|
|Rendered as:||grey shading?|
This new tag is to be used to mark border zones. Should be used for areas or relations.
Border zones (strips of land near the country border) exist in many countries of the world. Current tagging is inconsistent - from landuse=military in Finland (https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6818398) to unnamed collection-type polygons in Russia and Belarus (e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1439255 and https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/5606909).
landuse=military (alone) doesn't seem right (seems like in the majority of countries you could, in fact, visit border zone - you just need a special permit for that). Unnamed/untagged polygons are useless for automatic data processing.
Having these zones on the map would aid greatly in trip planning in the areas close to a border.
|Key + Tag||Description|
|boundary=border_zone||main tag for the border zone area|
|border_zone=*||specify sub-type if needed|
|access=permit or access=no||or some other value - depending on how hard it is to obtain a permit|
|related_law=*||name of the law that describes the boundaries|
|source=*||url of the boundary description (i.e. in most cases, the link to the law mentioned in the related_law tag)|
|name=*||if a border zone has its own name (no need to put something like "country X border zone" here as such info could be inferred from the main tag and the location)|
|landuse=military||if a border zone is also a military cordon of sorts (e.g., like a DMZ).|
- Border zone in Karelia region in Russia - a classical border zone in Russia, hence boundary=border_zone, access=permit (these days you get a permit by requesting it online). There is no landuse=military as there is actually very little military presence in the area (mostly the border itself is patrolled).
- Korean DMZ should probably have boundary=border_zone as well + access=permit (see Korean Demilitarized Zone in the wikipedia) along with the current tags.
- Parts of the UN buffer zone in Cyrpus might probably have boundary=border_zone + access=yes? (wiki article doesn't mention whether you could visit it freely or not, but since it covers some portion of residential area of Nicosia, capital of Cyprus, it should probably be at least access=permit) in addition to the current tags.
- Border zone in Kabardino-Balkaria region in Russia - regular border zone with boundary=border_zone
- 5km border zone in Kabardino-Balkaria region in Russia - inner border zone (Russian peculiarity, it has stricter permit requirements than the regular one) with boundary=border_zone + border_zone=5km_zone.
Grey version of https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/patterns/military_red_hatch.svg or just grey shading.
Rendering of boundary=border_zone should be more like a background fill lest it obscures other features. Further thinking/discussing with carto style maintainers is needed. Probably it would be nice to render it similarly to boundary=national_park - background fill at lower zoom levels and an outline at higher zoom levels so that the details are still visible.
Please comment on the discussion page.
- I approve this proposal. --Zaneo (talk) 11:36, 7 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. Sounds good to me, but it would be even better if the main values of border_zone were described; that can be done later with another proposal, but it would be good to prevent tagging fragmentation. --Penegal (talk) 05:49, 8 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Larmax (talk) 08:56, 12 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. Long overdue, thanks for pushing this proposal. --Zverik (talk) 15:06, 12 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Dell4valt (talk) 15:40, 12 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Sikmir (talk) 18:54, 12 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. Lzhl (talk) 18:02, 12 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --BLE (talk) 16:08, 13 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Houtari (talk) 20:08, 13 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --xronos (talk) 21:16, 13 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Tolstoi21 (talk) 09:56, 14 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Reino Baptista (talk) 16:39, 17 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --EneaSuper (talk) 17:43, 17 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --PeterPan99 (talk) 09:41, 18 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Gendy54 (talk) 12:15, 18 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. --Shaun das Schaf (talk) 09:28, 19 October 2021 (UTC)
- I approve this proposal. this is necessary for a more accurate description of the boundaries --Pfg21 (talk) 15:03, 25 October 2021 (UTC)