Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also: Routing/offline routers
Online routing services and software using OpenStreetMap data.
|Functionality (hover for description)||OpenRoute- Service ||YOURS ||CycleStreets ||Routino ||BBBike @ World ||OSRM ||TripGo ||BRouter||OpenTrip- Planner ||HoofMarker||GraphHopper ||Finnder ||cycle.travel ||Valhalla |
|Coverage||Global||Global||UK, much of North/Western Europe, Selected Cities||UK only||Selected Cities||Global||Selected Cities||Global||Selected Cities||Central Europe||Global||Selected Cities||Europe, North America|
|Modes of transportation|
|Bicycle (quietest)||Safest(several options)||partial||yes||yes||no||yes||no||yes||no||no||no||yes||yes|
|Pedestrian (safest crossings)||no||N/A||no||no||no||no||no||no||no||no||no||no|
|Blind person||no||no ?||N/A||no||no||no||no||no||no||no||no||no||no|
|Advanced routing options|
|Vehicle details (height, …)||yes||no||N/A||yes||N/A||no||no||no||no||no||no||yes||no|
|Via-points||yes||yes||API only||9 online; 99 offline||yes||yes||Mode-change only||yes||Limited||yes||yes||no||yes|
|Avoid bridges or tunnels||yes||no||no||yes||no||no||no||Configurable||no||yes||no||no||no|
|Avoid street types||yes||no||partial||yes||yes||no||partial||Configurable||no||yes||no||no||no|
|Accounts for hills||yes||no||yes||no||yes||no||no||yes||Yes, if elevation data available||yes||yes||yes||yes|
|Accounts for steps||yes||Yes||yes||yes||no||no||yes||no||yes||no||yes||yes|
|Real-time traffic||partial||no||no||no||no||no||no||no||no||no||no||no||AADT (non-live) traffic data for some countries|
|Routing over ferry routes||Configurable||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||yes||no||no|
|Routes bicycles over motorways with bicycle=yes||yes||N/A||yes||no||N/A||yes||Configurable||yes||no||yes||no||yes|
|Time-based restrictions||Current time only||Query specifies time|
|Transit (public transportation)|
|Maplets||no||no||yes||no||yes||no||yes||Also integrates with Google Street View||no||no||no||Configurable print resolution|
|Route short link||yes||no||yes||no||yes||yes||yes||no||yes||no||yes||no||yes|
|Edit in Potlatch link||no||yes||yes||yes||no||no||no||no||no||yes||yes||no||yes|
|Edit via remote control||no||yes||no||no||no||yes||no||no||no|
|Mobile device (small screen)||yes||Being improved||Yes||no||yes||no||yes||no||Being improved||no||yes||Being improved||yes|
|Offline applications||Marble, OsmAnd||Marble, OsmAnd||no||Marble||no||Marble (0.14+)||no||Strict offline use with Locus, OruxMaps, OsmAnd||no||no||yes||Bike Citizens||no|
|API for 3rd-parties||yes||yes||Yes||no||yes||yes||On demand||Offline only||yes||no||yes||On demand||On demand|
|Service guarantee||99%||no||Paid SLA available||99.9%||99.9%||no||no||no||no||Paid SLA available||no||no|
|Regular routing data updates||Weekly||no||Fortnightly||Twice weekly||Weekly||Daily||Weekly||Weekly||no||Weekly||Weekly||partial||Approx. monthly|
|Coverage (copied from top)||Global||Global||UK, much of North/Western Europe, Selected Cities||UK only||Selected Cities||Global||Selected Cities||Global||Selected Cities||Central Europe||Global||Selected Cities||Europe, North America|
Services missing in comparison matrix
- Skobbler maps - provides routing for car (fastest, shortest), cycle and pedestrian. Seems to be worldwide but not sure.
- Komoot - Outdoor route planner (bicycle, hiking, mountain bike, road bike) for webbrowser and smartphones. (voice navigation, social media connection & more)
- OpenStreetRouting () A simple online routing app using Pyroutelib2 and tile data server
- fahrradies.net Fahrradies.net is a simple to use cycle or pedestrian route planner based on pgRouting. Web site unreachable, possibly hijacked. 2020-01-15
- GeoVelo French cycle routing on selected city
- routing.osm.ch - Routing for pedestrians (two types), cyclists (two types) and cars in Switzerland only (based on OSRM)
- Kurviger - Motorcycle route planning and navigation that favours scenic curvy roads and slopes, while avoiding cities and highways, available as Android app, website, and API, via the GraphHopper Directions API.
Route services with public instances
- Open Source Routing Machine (OSRM) : Very fast car routing.
- MapQuest 
- YOURS () is a opensource webservice for route planning combining existing services and software like Namefinder, Gosmore routing engine and OpenLayers slippy map interface. Routes can be calculated for either car, bicycle or foot and downloaded as GPX file. A route altitude profile is also available. Last data update for routing was on 2014-09-02.
- CycleStreets is routing for cyclists (UK, much of North/Western Europe, Selected Cities) 
- Routino () A free / open source router with an online demonstration for the UK .
- BBBike @ World () - a Cycle Route Planner. More than 200 cities are supported around the world. There is also an offline version.
- BRouter focuses on bike routing and features elevation awareness, alternatives, fully configurable routing profiles and offline routing for Android
- GraphHopper (): Fast car, bike and pedestrian routing. Open Source & Java.
- Finnder (): Optimized bicycle routing for selected cities and urban areas by Bike Citizens.
- OsmGps PWA It focuses on fast routing, thanks to auto-completed searches, the application is PWA.
Online routing software without public (demo) instances
- pyroute can route for different types of vehicle (bike, foot, etc), uses A* with weightings, and has a basic GUI
- pgRouting () main objective is to provide routing functionality to PostGIS / PostgreSQL. pgRouting is part of PostLBS, which provides core tools for Location Based Services (LBS) as Open Source Software (OSS).
- Loadstone for Symbian devices (Loadstone is not an online routing software! It is for Symbian OS mobile devices. It does not download any files while routing, but you can import files from the OpenStreetMap to Loadstone converter.)
- osm_routing super-simple plain Dijkstras in scala with rest-ful webAPI. (GPLv3)
- opensatnav.org Proposed project. Initial idea is to set-up an opensatnav application that can be used on G1 hand sets, and Openmoko. The Andnav2 project has done some excellent work, but it isn't all _open_.
- Preference for relations with route=bicycle can be selected
- Selecting the cyclenetworks layer will result in routes that are part of cycleroutes which will be nicer, more quiet etc. then shortest/fastest.
- For simplest turn restrictions composed of way-node-way
- There is support for via ways including multiple one. Multiple via ways support implemented in December 2020 - may not be deployed yet everywhere
- For simplest turn restrictions composed of way-node-way, see https://github.com/graphhopper/graphhopper/issues/446 for request to support via ways
- Preference for relations with route=foot/walking/hiking can be selected
- Traffic Message Channel (TMC) only in Germany. every 5 minutes updated
- Details. A script has to be run to specialize the data set for a given time and load it into the server. Of course, if you're running your own instance for testing, you can run the script as many times as you want to test different times.
- Test case valid as of 2021-01-30. Sign up for a free Mapbox account, put in your token, go to "Routing Options" -> "Show" -> "Date & Time Options", and try the departure times "25-Jan-2021 08:00:00" and "25-Jan-2021 10:00:00".
Adapted from OpenRouteService#Route Service Comparison Matrix