|amenity = health_post|
|A village or neighborhood health post, without a permanent physician.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A health post (a.k.a. "Community Health Post", "Health Station", "Health Center") is a health and wellness establishment for local residents where basic health services are primarily provided by government healthcare workers other than physicians. In many cases, a rota of medical professionals (doctors, dentists, nurses, optometrists, etc.) visit the community to provide specific medical services, but the regular, primary services are more limited: midwifery, health counseling immunization, community awareness and wellness education.
Primary health care providers may vary from one facility to another. This may range from nurses, midwives, or accredited local community health workers with specialized training, but in general it is unreasonable to expect on-site physicians.
It is much smaller than a clinic -- ergo, smaller than a hospital, and unlikely to have emergency care facilities beyond first aid administration. They may have ambulance station services for ferrying emergency cases to the nearest hospital.
As of 2022, the tag is already in worldwide use (overpass-turbo search), especially in Africa and Asia.
How to map
Use the tag amenity=health_post on a node placed at the centre point of the building, or on a closed way (area) drawn around the perimeter of the building.
In addition to this tag, mappers may indicate one or more primary care providers:
- Community Health Worker - healthcare=community_health_worker
- Nurse - healthcare=nurse
- Midwife - healthcare=midwife
- Midwife and local community health worker - healthcare=midwife;community_health_worker
Tags used in combination
There are mappers who tag the same feature using healthcare=* tags, but that approach is unable to specify the primary care provider(s) available. See comparative usage below:
- amenity=doctors - a doctor's office (a.k.a. "surgery" or "clinic") is a small medical practice with up to 9 medical staff.
- amenity=clinic - a medical facility providing outpatient-only services, with 10 or more specialist doctors, nurses, or allied medical staff.
- amenity=hospital - a hospital providing inpatient care, and emergency care services
- healthcare=nurse - a facility where a nurse is the main medical services provider
- healthcare=midwife - a facility where a midwife provides prenatal care and delivers babies
- healthcare=health_post - a duplicate tag under healthcare=*