|generator:source = solar|
|A generator which produces energy (normally electricity) from the sun.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A solar generator can be either a thermal generator which outputs heat energy or (increasingly commonly) agenerator which directly produces electrical energy from sunlight.
Mapping Photovoltaic Generators
Solar Park/Solar Farm
The individual rows of the solar panel within the solar field can be mapped as follows:
power=generator generator:source=solar generator:method=photovoltaic generator:output:electricity=* generator:type=solar_photovoltaic_panel location=surface
Rooftop Solar Panels
With the exception of extremely large installations, rooftop solar panels do not form part of a power plant (in industry terms, they're distributed generation), so they only need tagging as generators.
power=generator generator:source=solar generator:method=photovoltaic generator:type=solar_photovoltaic_panel generator:output:electricity=output rating or generator:output:electricity=small_installation location=roof
Additional tags which can be used to provide additional information, which help calculate potential power output:
- Number of modules making up the installation: generator:solar:modules=*. Modern modules have a rating of between 300-370W and measure roughly 1.5 by 1 m.
- Compass orientation of the installation: generator:orientation=*. An alternative is to use the generic direction=* the tag values are the same (points of the compass usually in N,S,E,W,SE ... NNE form, or in degrees 0..360).
- Azimuth or pitch: no established tag yet. Values in degrees or flat or vertical.
Mapping Thermal Generators
Concentrated Solar Power Plants
Aor concentrated solar thermal power plant concentrates the heat from the sun, usually with an array of mirrors. It then converts this energy to electricity by using a steam turbine.
The individual rows of the solar collectors within the solar field can be mapped as follows:
power=generator generator:source=solar generator:method=thermal generator:output:heat=* generator:output:hot_water=* generator:output:electricity=*
Solar Thermal Collectors
Acollects heat from the sun. These devices are most commonly found as rooftop solar hot water panels, especially in warm countries.
power=generator generator:source=solar generator:method=thermal generator:output:heat=* generator:output:hot_water=* generator:type=solar_thermal_collector generator:place=roof location=roof (alternative, established tag)
- Proposed features/Power generation refinement - approved proposal
- Renewable energy in the United Kingdom/Rooftop Solar PV