Generator vs Plant
I note several changes have been made to this page reverting edits I made from some time ago. I'd like to draw peoples' attention to the accepted Proposed_features/Power_generation_refinement proposal from several years ago. That proposal says that any reasonably-sized solar farm should be tagged in the first instance (i.e. the outline) as a *plant*, not as a generator. This is consistent with the way all other plants are tagged.
- I agree. Although in the past photovoltaic plants have been mapped as generators, this does not mean that this should be taken as a rule. I propose to bring the page back to its original state and add some text explaining the intended purpose vs actual usage. sorcrosc (talk) 21:21, 15 January 2019 (UTC)
- I don't see your username in the edit history so I'm not sure if this went ahead. I don't know if the page is now in a state that satisfies Russss' objection or not... I've noticed that there are at least some largeish solar farms in the UK tagged as power=generator which would be better tagged as power=plant - it's clear to me that if people use power=generator there's an ambiguity, since there aren't actually many tags that differentiate a single panel from a plant when you don't know the kW rating etc. It might be better for the wiki page to emphasise a bit more the tagging difference. --Danstowell (talk) 08:24, 1 April 2019 (UTC)
- You're right, I had forgotten about this - thanks for the reminder! I might take a stab at rewriting this page today since I'm ill... There's also a project to map rooftop solar in the UK at the moment so I will have a chat to them. Russss (talk) 09:20, 1 April 2019 (UTC)
Rooftop Solar as Ways
Is it okay to map rooftop solar arrays as areas? It seems like the recommendation for rooftop solar on a residential scale is to use nodes, but I think it would be useful for larger rooftop arrays to be mapped as areas so that the shape can be used to estimate power output by third parties using the map data. Would it be possible to change this guidance? Brubsby (talk) 21:59, 2 April 2019 (UTC)
- Yes it's fine. We've been doing them as ways, in cases where we've got that information. I've edited the wiki page to reflect this.--Danstowell (talk) 07:54, 3 April 2019 (UTC)
We need a tag for panels that are getting actively tracked with the sun. I did a short search and couldn't find anything useful yet.
My idea would be to use solar:tracking Not sure about the values yet. For now I only had dual axis trackers, so i marked them as solar:tracking:dual.
Any ideas, suggestions?
- I was thinking of tagging it as `generator:orientation=heliostat`. We've been using tags such as `generator:orientation=SW` or `generator:orientation=175`, and so it makes sense that the same tag should store the fact that they're heliostatic/tracking. I like the word heliostat/heliostatic, but maybe easier for people to type correctly is `generator:orientation=tracking`. What do you think to that? --Danstowell (talk) 08:51, 29 September 2019 (UTC)