|landcover = trees|
|land covered with trees|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
Land physically covered with trees, regardless of being natural or not, in a forest or in a park/garden, etc.
The tag does not describe the human use to which the area is put.
In some countries (for example, in Russia) using of this tag is strongly discouraged by local communities.
- Forest describes all the different approaches that currently exist for mapping woodlands and explains their advantages and disadvantages.
- landuse=forest and natural=wood are more widely used tags for mapping woodland with partly more specific meaning.
- landuse=orchard is specifically used for agricultural orchards and plantations, where fruits, nuts, and other produce are harvested from trees and shrubs.
Support in editors and data consumers
- https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/2548 - together with landcover=grass, due to duplicating far more popular tagging schemes
- https://josm.openstreetmap.de/browser/josm/trunk/data/validator/ignoretags.cfg?rev=11949 - adding landcover=grass and landcover=trees to known popular tags that were decided to not be included in presets
- https://github.com/openstreetmap/iD/issues/4272 - due to duplicating far more popular tagging schemes