|military = barracks|
|Buildings where military personnel live and sleep|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
where military personnel live and sleep, normally part of a larger military base or installation.
How to map
- building=* mandatory when the area is a single building
- landuse=military mandatory when the area is not just one building and not part of larger landuse=military
- military=barracks mandatory
- military_service=* recommended when the barracks are not inside a military base
If the barracks are located inside a military base (which may sometimes be called "Something Barracks") then the base as a whole should be tagged as military=base. Only the individual buildings, or part of the base, where service personnel sleep and live should be tagged as barracks.
This tag is not to be used to map the locations of such groups as youth-based Military Cadets (although Cadet training depots may be found inside a Base), military historical or re-enactment groups, or Veterans groups.
Prior to January 2021, this tag was defined as "Military barracks where soldiers live and work", and on older features this tag may still have this meaning, which is similar to the newer tag military=base.
- military=base - A facility where military personnel and equipment are based
- military=checkpoint - Place where civilian visitors and vehicles will be checked by a military authority
- military=training_area - A military training area/proving ground
- military=danger_area - A restricted area posing a threat to life or property
- club=cadet + cadet=military - the locations of youth-based Military Cadet groups