|military = checkpoint|
|Place where civilian visitors and vehicles will be checked by a military authority.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
This tag page is a stub. You can help OpenStreetMap by expanding it.|
Similar pages for structural reference: Tag:railway=tram, Tag:waterway=dock.
A military checkpoint is a permanent feature where access by civilian visitors and vehicles will be controlled by a military authority, such as at a point of entry to a restricted or secured area, or a checkpoint on a public highway within areas under military or paramilitary supervision.
CAUTION: take care when mapping military features such as checkpoints. Mapping such features may be illegal or dangerous in certain countries or conflict areas.
How to Map
This tag should be used for permanent or long-term checkpoints, not for temporary or mobile checkpoints which are not expected to remain for more than a month.
- barrier=* - if there is a gate or other physical barrier located at the checkpoint. Common examples include barrier=gate, barrier=lift_gate, barrier=swing_gate, barrier=spikes, barrier=bollard and barrier=chain.
- access=* - to specify who is allowed to pass the checkpoint. Relevant values include public, destination, private, no - also consider adding Access tags to the highway=* which passes through the checkpoint.
- opening_hours=* - if the checkpoint is only open at certain times or days.
- end_date=* - if the checkpoint is scheduled to be removed as a certain date in the future.
- operator=* - the name of the operator of the checkpoint, e.g. "Royal Air Force".