|bind all parts of a street together and everything else that belongs to it
|Status: in use
|Tools for this tag
This is a variant of the more widely used associatedStreet relation. In common with associatedStreet, the purpose of this relation is to group all the elements that make up a street together. One advantage of doing this is that it avoids the need to repeatedly use tags that apply to an entire street, such as addr:street or addr:city. These tags can instead be included once inside the relation. Street relations also provide an explicit connection between addresses and the street to which they belong.
Note that this relation is not established and unsupported by some applications. It has also not been approved by vote. You can still use it, but you should not delete existing tagging in its favour.
Proposal: There is now a proposal to change this relation to include more members, see Proposal:Relation:street
Differences from associatedStreet
Street and associatedStreet relations are in most ways inter-compatible and data users should have little difficulty in utilising both.
- this relation favours using the role 'address' instead of 'house' for objects representing addresses. This makes sense because addresses are not just houses, but shops, offices, factories, and so on. The 'address' role is therefore more accurate and less potentially confusing.
- this relation also allows for including features that belong to a street but are not addresses using the 'associated' role.
- clear definition about custom user tags * Any Tag that applies to all parts of the street. With associatedStreet it is up to software how to use Karlsruhe Schema on building=* vs relation.
|Defines that this is a Relation of the type 'street'.
|The name of the street (required).
|Any Tag that applies to all parts of the street.
Software that support this tagging schema
- Newer proposal with more members and details: Proposal:Relation:street
- Old proposal: Proposal:Street
- Relation:associatedStreet - used to connect streets with houses, for addressing purposes
- addr=* - the addr tag is the prefix for several addr:* keys to describe addresses
- a map demo tool: Clickable road - complete-street - show all osm-way segments which have the same name (no Relation:street is needed for this purpose)