|describe the absence of a sign to survey a property or its existence|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
This key is used to annotate the fact that there is no on-the-ground sign indicating this feature's name or existence.
Some contributors also use this tag to describe that specific information is missing in the field when it can be expected to be found. For example:
- unsigned=name explicitly describe that there is no name on-site. Preferred tagging is name:signed=no (unsigned=name is used less than 100 times currently, usage of name:signed=no was higher even before StreetComplete started using it on a large scale).
- unsigned=addr:housenumber describe that an object (for ex a building, a shop, a door) doesn't have a sign with its addr:housenumber=*, when it can expect to find one. Alternative addr:housenumber:signed=no.
- unsigned=maxstay describe a parking without any maxstay information. Alternative maxstay:signed=no
- unsigned=yes on a highway=bus_stop to indicate it's an unsigned bus stop which is only mentioned on timetables but nevertheless, is in use. It can stop a valid bus stop from being mistakenly deleted. There has been some talk about using signed=no or sign=no instead.
- unsigned=lanes on a highway=* to indicate it has no traffic lane markings. Clearly preferred tagging is lane_markings=no (over 120 000 uses vs 2 uses)
The absence of a sign about a name=* or addr:housenumber=* does not mean that the object has no name or number. Do not "fix" unsigned with "no", don't add "no" without being sure that this object has no name or has no number.
See the proposal Proposed features/Noname for an overview of all the possible ways of indicating an object is unnamed.
- noname=* and the deprecated unnamed=* to describe that this object has no name at all.
- naptan:BusStopType=CUS a UK-specific imported tag about unmarked stop.
- physically_present=no to describe that a verifiable feature have no trace on the field.
- street_vendor=yes a shop on the street, and therefore may not be visible when the vendor is far away.
- noaddress=* and nohousenumber=* to describe that it doesn't have an address or a house number.
- name:signed=no the currently accepted way of tagging an object which has a name but its not signed.
- unsigned_ref=* to be used when a reference number of code that is generally not signed on the route.