|waterway = rapids|
|rapids, a fast-flowing and turbulent section of a waterway which is not a waterfall. Also see the newer tag whitewater:rapid_grade=*|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
The tag waterway=rapids is used for whitewater wikipedia:Rapids, a fast-flowing, often turbulent, section of a watercourse such as a river, often containing exposed rocks or boulders. Also see the newer tags whitewater:rapid_grade=* and whitewater:section_grade=* which have been gradually replacing this tag in use.
How to map
Alternately, some mappers have used a closed way around the area of the rapids or a linear way along the center line. In this case it is still necessary to map the centerline of the river with waterway=river and the area of water should be mapped with waterway=riverbank as well, as separate objects. This may need to be fixed in some cases.
- waterway=waterfall - for a vertical drop in a stream or river, generally not navigable by boats.
- whitewater:rapid_grade=* - allows tagging the difficulty grade of navigating the rapid, according to the international system
- whitewater:section_grade=* - for tagging the difficulty grade of a whole section of a river.
- whitewater:rapid_name=* and whitewater:section_name=* - the name of the rapid (can be added to the same feature as waterway=river or waterway=riverbank)
- whitewater sports - alternative tagging system.