Discuss the Editors article here.
Tabular list of editors
We seem to have moved to a tabular list of editors, using the User:TTTBot as seen on the Software pages. That's a fairly sweeping change to a long-standing key wiki page. A little explanation here would be good.
Is it an improvement? One thing which doesn't work so well now, is that Potlatch and JOSM are not clearly shown at the top of the list. Perhaps in theory I'm making a terribly subjective judgement and all editor software should be treated equally. ...in practice Potlatch and JOSM are the primary two options for full OpenStreetMap editing functionality and to obscure that information is confusing to site visitors.
For now I'm going to reinstate the short descriptions of Potlatch and JOSM at the top of the page. Another idea might be to bring in some user agent API usage stats into the table, and then order by that by default. This would bring Potlatch and JOSM to the top (comfortably to the top. All other editors have insignificant numbers of users by comparison)
-- Harry Wood 12:38, 9 January 2012 (UTC)
- I had removed Potlatch 2 because I thought it was being phased out, but chatting to RichardF on IRC just now, it turns out he's still keen to see it listed there and it's still under active development "it's not in hyperactive development, but in the next past it's got editor-imagery-index support, tag memory, improvements to the geometry adjust feature, a floating imagery window, a tasks palette, and bookmarks". Also users on Internet Explorer get shown Potlatch 2 rather than iD. -- Harry Wood (talk) 11:24, 25 August 2015 (UTC)
- I updated help menu with your pages How to contribute, Contribute map data so they all accessible within few clicks via tabs. Xxzme (talk) 19:39, 29 August 2015 (UTC)
"Upload to OSM"
The table has an "Upload to OSM" column which is green for all editors. Is this column really necessary? What sort of editor does not support uploading to OSM? :D --Contrapunctus (talk) 07:51, 8 April 2019 (UTC)
- In theory editor may produce file that must be opened and uploaded with for example JOSM. But it is a bit silly, I would support removing this column Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 08:02, 8 April 2019 (UTC)
Reduce top three to top two or replace Potlatch 2?
Is Potlatch 2 really something that should be mentioned as one of top three editors? Vespucci would be better as sole general-purpose editor on Android (but it has no heavy use) Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 10:34, 17 July 2019 (UTC)
- Top editors should be defined by the amount of use (any recent figures?). Mobile editors could be s separate category. --Andrew (talk) 12:00, 17 July 2019 (UTC)
- Editor usage stats has https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Editor_usage_stats#by_number_of_edits has Potlatch 2 as the third editor (it surprised me), but usage 10 times lower than iD and 30 times lower than JOSM (what is not surprising to me). Go Map!! is a top iOS editor, Vespucci top Android editor (you can order by other metrics, but this seems the best). I would support mentioning Vespucci and Go Map!! (and may add them). I support mentioning also StreetComplete but I am unlikely add it as I am more than a bit biased here Mateusz Konieczny (talk) 12:12, 17 July 2019 (UTC)
- I think the main list should continue to mention Potlatch 2 as long as it's one of the options in the dropdown on osm.org, but that's mainly because the comparison table is intimidating to new users who just want to learn more about the options available on the site. To me, a gallery like the ones at Android and iOS would be better; users could delve into each article to learn more rather than try to comparison-shop based on a few characteristics that require fuller explanation anyways. – Minh Nguyễn 💬 17:21, 17 July 2019 (UTC)