Talk:Proposed features/Ski Jumping
Unlike the other winter sports under the piste tagging scheme, two piste:type=* are currently used, namely piste:type=ski_jump and piste:type=ski_jump_landing. It is odd that one of the smallest winter sports would require two piste:type=* values and it breaks the otherwise nice structure of the piste name space. Only 113 of the 173 ski jumping hills in OSM have piste:type=ski_jumping_landing tagged, and often combined with leisure=pitch.
Here is a proposal to simplify the tagging even further and to provide some more clarity on where to put other tags:
- Map the in-run with one way from the top to the take-off and piste:type=ski_jump, in the direction of travel.
- Map the landing hill with an closed way and leisure=pitch + sport=ski_jumping.
- Alternatively, map the landing hill as a straight continuation of the way from the in-run (i.e. one way with three nodes, the middle node at the take-off).
- Map name=* and ref=K120,K90,etc on the in-run way.
- If appropriate, map a building around the in-run way.
- Map summer jumping hills with surface=artificial_turf on the landing area.
- A ski jump in a freestyle downhill piste may be mapped with one node and a piste:type=ski_jump tag.
- It's a bit harsh for the users that took the time to differentiate a separate 'piste_jump_landing', don't you think? Otherwise, why not.
- I disagree about freestyle jumps, they are quite different landmarks and a very different sport.
- --Yvecai (talk) 07:29, 10 March 2018 (UTC)
- I understand your comment, however I believe the standard practice is not to actively retag a deprecated feature, so nothing would be lost. The majority of the ski_jump_landings are areas and would continue to be identified as landing areas through the leisure=pitch + sport=ski_jumping tagging. The number of objects in OSM is anyway extremely low.
- The freestyle jumps were just a bonus and may be disregarded. It could be a more neutral ski_jump=yes on a node, or we could just exclude it from the proposal.
- I have tried to solicit input from my local community, including posting to the national mailing list, but without any results. The sport is perhaps just to small or maybe potential comments were already covered. If you agree with the rest of my suggestions, then perhaps we could move on based on that? You would then need to modify the proposal page.--NKA (talk) 14:31, 10 March 2018 (UTC)
The main issue with the previous proposal is the use of the sport=* key [sport].
Intent: To mark the location of the take-off ramp used for ski-jumping. Ususally it is a good point for orientation in country.
The new value may be used with the sport tag with linear. The proposed tag is:
<tag k="sport" v="ski_jump_take_off"/>
Rendering: The tag is directional, so the take-off ramp should be drawn heading downwards (down the slope). The symbol should be stretched from beginning to the end of the underlaying segment. The segment is drawn grey and the symbol is drawn black. Rendering is left for discussion...
- As I look at the symbol, maybe it would be better to change the arrow direction as it would be more straightforward... --Kubajz 10:54, 17 July 2007 (BST)
- Can you add a photo? I'm not quite sure what this looks like, and the symbol is a bit confusing... Frankie Roberto 14:20, 17 July 2007 (BST)
- Photo added. As I wrote before - the symbol is a thing to develop... --Kubajz 10:58, 24 July 2007 (BST)
- how about simpler sport=ski_jump, with ways rendered as take-off ramp, landing areas rendered as skiing area
- In the same way as written right before, I work on a "ski resort" related features and I try to define different "skiing areas" and one could be a "ski jumping" area showing the whole area dedicated to. Your "take-off ramp" could be a useful object to add to this specific area to separate the taking-off and the landing part of the area. --Livewire74 15:45, 22 November 2007 (CET)
- I suggesting that the complete area is marked and tagged as sport=ski_jump. The area is rendered with some suitable color with a ski jumping pictogram (maybe ) in the middle. --Kslotte 18:38, 8 February 2010 (UTC)
- Why not piste:type = jump, this tag would be similar to the ones used in the Piste Maps. The take off tip of the ramp could have a takeoff = K90, K120, Kxx, 'normal hill', 'large hill' or 'freestyle'. That way icons could be rendered at that point for ski-jumping or freestyle jumping and the tags would be used for the 2 sports. --yvecai 19:30, 28 February 2010 (UTC)