Talk:Proposed features/Tennis wall
This is a tag combination using another proposed tag
I think the proposal should rather be done for leisure=practice_pitch in general which is in proposed state itself, taking into account the tagging of differnent kinds of practice pitches for different sports. What will happen with leisure=practice_pitch if this proposal for tennis walls will be approved? Will leisure=practice_pitch become approved automatically too? --Hufkratzer (talk) 10:37, 14 July 2021 (UTC)
- That's a good observation, I didn't realise leisure=practice_pitch was still in a proposal state, given that it already has a wiki page. I guess I could revive the old proposal or in alternative repurpose and enlarge this one. -- 413Michele (talk) 11:09, 14 July 2021 (UTC)
Renderer or application issue
You cited "but it has the problem that current renders would draw it as a full tennis" as the reason not favoring leisure=pitch. Purely about rendering, many leisure=pitch are currently drawn over multiple tennis courts. Although functionally this is not critical compared to tennis walls (there does exist tennis courts there), it isn't as strong a reason as whether leisure=pitch should mean a full playing field instead of any playing area for the sport. I find leisure=pitch acceptable, as in sport=basketball one can use hoops=1 for such practice area. Of course, tennis can't be played with only a tennis wall, but I suspect tennis courts without nets also exist. Now I don't play tennis, so I wonder whether one can "practice" with another player against a tennis wall (resembling squash). I assume this is possible for doubles? Therefore to conform under leisure=pitch, tagging of half court category, hitting wall, and absence of net (if this situation does exist) can be introduced to detail these features. For full court facilities, renting of practice machines can be added if warranted. -- Kovposch (talk) 13:03, 14 July 2021 (UTC)
- by your own wording (“whether leisure=pitch should mean a full playing field instead of any playing area for the sport”) tennis walls can not be seen as a pitch because you cannot play tennis there.—-Dieterdreist (talk) 14:32, 14 July 2021 (UTC)
- The wall itself is of course not a "pitch". How about the half court it is facing? ---- Kovposch (talk) 04:25, 15 July 2021 (UTC)
- I see some photos of hitting walls with a basketball hoop mounted on it on a half-sized pitch. leisure=practice_pitch would preclude leisure=pitch + hoops=1 by a value conflict for these multi-functional facilities. ---- Kovposch (talk) 04:31, 15 July 2021 (UTC)
- OSM carto has no problem with rendering small pitches because it doesn't draw markings. The German and Frensh style draw markings, but only under certain conditions (see de and fr) and render tennis wall pitches correctly without markings because / if they are too small for the normal markings. Examples: de / fr, de / fr and de / fr.
- Another possibility would be to draw markings only if some special tag indicates that they are really present (see Proposed_features/pitch_markings, used only 54x for tennis yet).
- leisure=pitch has the description "An area designed for practising a particular sport, normally designated with appropriate markings." Nothing said about "full" here. To introduce the requirement that only "full" playing fields must be tagged with leisure=pitch would require a definition what "full" exactly means (for all sports for which leisure=pitch is used!) and an unpredictable and possibly huge amount of pitches to be retagged. --Hufkratzer (talk) 21:20, 21 July 2021 (UTC)
Related proposal draft for "Pitch features"
There is a related proposal draft Proposed features/Pitch features. Perhaps the wall (not the pitch) can be tagged like this. Some tennis nets have been tagged according to this proposal draft, e.g. here. --Hufkratzer (talk) 21:29, 21 July 2021 (UTC)
- Thank you for the info, after some comments I received here and on the mailing list I decided to temporarily suspend the proposal in order to revive the practice_pitch one (or create a new proposal), but I'll give a look at pitch features too. This seems a good solution for tagging the wall, so thank you! I'll probably use it when I get back to this proposal