Motorsport or Auto racing?
Recently on the pages Key:sport, ES:Key:sport, IT:Key:sport and Tr:Key:sport the description for sport=motor was changed from "Motorsport" to "Auto racing" during the transition to the automatic TagList which grabs the description from this page here. Unfortunately, both terms have different meanings, "Motorsport" includes "Auto racing" (and more) but not vice versa. Auto racing, Karting and Motocross are all subclasses of Motorsport (as you can see in the wikidata pages), in other words: they imply it.
I propose to change this description for sport=motor here from "Auto racing" to "Motorsport" and to add the corresponding links (Motorsport and ) as explanations. I propose this because of the following reasons:
- This page is currently a quite empty stub and does not offer any explanation why the description was set to "Auto racing" in July 2015 while at the same time on page Key:sport the tag was defined as Motorsport (see Template:Map_Features:sport).
- The name of the value of this tag is motor and not "auto_racing" or similar. This suggests that its meaning is motorsport.
- In JOSM the Label for this tag is "Motorsport" and not "Auto racing".
- The tag sport=motor was often used for karting and motocross sites, you can easily find such examples with turbo overpass. To redefine the meaning of the tag to "auto racing" would invalidate these database entries and this could not be fixed without local knowledge.
Are there objections to change the description here from "Auto racing" to "Motorsport"?
- You are right, thank you for fixing that. I've just added a longer descrition here, based on the first line, to help define what "motorsport" means.
- But is there a way to specifically tag a feature as used for auto racing, rather than motocross or karting? It would be nice to have a tag like sport=auto_racing for raceways which are used for auto racing. See also https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/3852 --Jeisenbe (talk) 04:08, 27 August 2019 (UTC)