|highway = residential|
|Road in a residential area|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
This tag is used for roads accessing or around residential areas but which are not a classified or unclassified highways.
This is a useful guideline if you are not sure whether to use "residential" or "unclassified" for streets in towns:
- residential – street or road generally used for local traffic within settlement.
- unclassified – Unclassified roads typically form the lowest form of the interconnecting grid network (below highway=tertiary roads). Roads serving for interconnection of small settlements. (See also highway=unclassified.)
- highway=living_street - a street where pedestrians have priority over cars, children can play on the street, maximum speed is low.
- surface=* - the surface of the street
How to map
|a simple residential way.||a way with
United States – TIGER data import
- Further information: TIGER fixup#Wrong highway classifications
The large scale TIGER data input of United States street data overused the
highway=residential tag. A significant proportion of these roads could be tagged as highway=unclassified, under the guideline mentioned above, or possibly highway=tertiary.