|To provide additional information about the related element to the end map user.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
The description=* tag can be used to provide additional information about the related element to the end map user, possibly using a pop-up or similar. Text should be kept short; a few words or perhaps one to three sentences at most. Longer information can be provided by tagging a link to Wikipedia or other external website using wikipedia=*, wikidata=*, url=* or website=*.
Use note=* for information which is for use by other mappers (for example a note indicating that the aerial imagery should not be believed or similar).
Never use description=* to add advertising messages. Such spam can and should be removed as soon as spotted.
- mtb:description=* - mountain bike relevant description
- whitewater:description=* similar for whitewater
- inscription=* - for the text of inscriptions on objects
- note=* - for adding notes to yourself and your fellow mappers
- website=* - for providing a link to a general external website
- wikipedia=* - for providing a wikipedia.org link
- Proposed features/Description
- more description: type tags : https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=description:#keys