|An object exhibited to the public typically in a museum, gallery or trade fair.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
An object exhibited to the public typically in a museum, gallery or trade fair.
- indoor=* for objects in buildings, such as museum buildings or galleries.
- outdoor=* for objects outside, which can include the museum campus.
- access=* describing details about who can access the object.
- fee=* should be used if a fee is required for the individual object. When the object is in a museum that already has fee=yes, this is implicit.
Other ideas for tags include:
- exhibit=history for exhibits about history (contrast with historic=* for exhibits of historic artifacts).
- exhibit=science for exhibits about science at children's museums or science centers.
- exhibit=biographical for exhibits about the life of a specific person.
We need to distinguish between public art and exhibits to the public. Public art means artwork (be it murals, statues or whatever) for example in the street, park, shopping centre or foyer of an open building, tagged tourism=artwork. It would need to be publicly accessible, without payment of an entry fee.
By this concept, exhibitions within a museum or gallery are not public art.