|Specifies whether monorail trains stop at a feature, or the type of monorail|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
The key monorail=yes/no is used to specify whether monorail trains stop at a feature such as a train station or platform. A monorail is a distinctive railway where the trains run on one single rail, often suspended above streets.
This key was approved for use with public_transport=stop_position only, when proposed at Proposed_features/Public_Transport, however it has also been used with other railway=* and public_transport=* feature tags.
This key is also in use, less commonly, to specify the type of monorail construction or propulsion, with values hanging, girder, rubber_tyres and maglev in use.
How to map
Do monorail trains stop at the features?
- Add the tag monorail=yes to a feature such as a railway=platform or public_transport=stop_position to specify that monorail trains stop at this feature. This is mainly useful when the same feature, such as a station, is shared by a railway=monorail train and a highway=* bus, or with another railway=* type such as a trams or subway.
- Add the tag monorail=no to a feature when monorail trains do not stop there, even though they might otherwise be expected to.
Some mappers add this tag to public_transport=platform and public_transport=station features, instead of adding the more common tags railway=platform and railway=station, however this tagging was not approved as part of the proposal and is not widely supported by database users.
- The Public_Transport proposal in 2011 approved using monorail=yes/no with public_transport=stop_position on a node on the railway=monorail way to show where a monorail train usually stops at a platform, halt or station, however, database users may also obtain the same information from the railway=monorail on the way which the node shares.
Type of monorail
Less commonly, some mappers use this key with railway=monorail and a value which specifies the type of monorail construction or propulsion, with values hanging, girder, rubber_tyres and maglev in use. These values have not been widely discussed, but appear to mean:
- hanging - the train hangs underneath the rail
- girder - the train runs above a single rail, constructed of girders.
- rubber_tyres - the train runs on rubber tyres
- maglev - the train is elevated above the surface and propelled by magnetic levitation.
- access=* - general access restrictions - while monorail=yes/no appears to be an access restriction, it is rarely used in this way
- train=* - specifies whether a train stops at a feature - usually not a tram, monorail or subway train.
- tram=* - specifies whether trams or streetcars stop at a feature
- subway=* - specifies whether a subway train stops at a feature
- light_rail=* - specifies whether "light rail" trains stop at a feature - unapproved tag