|Specifies whether subway trains stop at a feature|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
The key subway=yes/no is used to specify whether subway trains stop at a feature such as a train station or platform. A monorail is a distinctive railway where the trains run on one single rail, often suspended above streets.
This key was approved for use with public_transport=stop_position only, when proposed at Proposed_features/Public_Transport, however it has also been used with other railway=* and public_transport=* feature tags.
How to Map
- Add the tag subway=yes to a feature such as a railway=station or public_transport=stop_position to specify that subway trains stop at this feature. This is mainly useful when the same feature, such as a station, is shared by a railway=subway with a train and a highway=* with a bus, or with another railway=* type such as a trams or ligh_rail.
- Add the tag subway=no to a feature when subway trains do not stop there, even though they might otherwise be expected to.
- Some mappers add this tag to public_transport=platform and public_transport=station features, instead of adding the more common tags railway=platform and railway=station, however this tagging was not approved as part of the proposal and is not widely supported by database users.
- The Public_Transport proposal in 2011 approved using subway=yes/no with public_transport=stop_position on a node on the railway=subway way to show where a subway train usually stops at a platform, halt or station, however, database users may also obtain the same information from the railway=subway tag on the way which the node shares.
- access=* - general access restrictions - while train=yes/no appears to be an access restriction, it is rarely used in this way
- train=* - specifies whether a train stops at a feature - usually not a subway, monorail or tram
- tram=* - specifies whether trams or streetcars stop at a feature
- subway=* - specifies whether a subway train stops at a feature
- light_rail=* - specifies whether "light rail" trains stop at a feature