|Records the source for a speed limit, either a sign, a context (default limit) or a speedlimit zone|
|Used on these elements|
|Documented values: 1|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
The source:maxspeed=* tag records the source of a road's maximum Speed limit as provided in the maxspeed=* tag to assist with Verifiability and maintenance. This may be a sign giving a numeric maximum speed, or a 'zone' from which the appropriate numeric speed limit can be determined by knowledge of local traffic laws.
How to tag
- See also: Speed limits
- sign (where the speed limit is defined by a numeric sign.)
- markings (where the speed limit is defined by painted road markings.)
- <country_code>:<context> (where the speed limit is defined by a particular context, for example urban/rural/motorway/etc., and no maxspeed is signposted)
Do not use <country_code>:<context> where there are signs that are prescribing the same maxspeed as the default.
An urban road in Italy would be tagged:
Where the speed limit is indicated by special speed limits signposted at the zone boundaries they can be tagged as follows:
- maxspeed=30 and zone:maxspeed=DE:30 - 32.952 uses 2017-03-30
- maxspeed=30 and source:maxspeed=DE:zone30 - 32.018 uses 2017-03-30
- maxspeed=30 and source:maxspeed=DE:zone:30 - 21.832 uses 2017-03-30
other (less recommended) variations
- maxspeed=30 and source:maxspeed=DE:zone - Proposed by a discussion on a mailing list citation needed (used 4k times in May 2014), usage stagnating according to taginfo history (5779 as of 3/2017)
- maxspeed=30 and source:maxspeed=zone - Proposed in the discussion of this page (analogously to other not country and speed-specific values like sign and markings) (usage stagnating, 1,8k as of 3/2017)
In some areas, default maxspeeds are not uniform in the whole country, in these cases simply use more refined codes referring to the area.
There are two relevant regions (different default rural maxspeed), Flanders and Wallonia, with these ISO codes: source:maxspeed=BE-WAL:... and source:maxspeed=BE-VLG:... As the Brussels-Capital Region has no rural road, there is also no need for a corresponding tag.
Commonly used values
|source:maxspeed value||maxspeed value|
|FR:motorway||130 /110 (raining)|
Note on British Usage
Some mappers use source:maxspeed=* to tag the source of the information as for other tags of the form source:*. In Great Britain, prolonged discussion of this point on talk-gb resulted in agreement to use source:maxspeed for the data source (survey, Open Data, etc) and maxspeed:type=* for the information described on this page. This usage is more consistent with the general pattern of tagging. It also resolved a conflict about how unsigned national speed limits should be tagged.