|Markings on outdoor paths and trails by signs, markers, poles, cairns or in another way.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
Trail blazing, or way marking, is the practice of improving visibility of trails in outdoor areas, and making them easier to follow, by use of a variety of signs, objects, or markings.
- Tag trailblazed=* on paths or tracks which are marked using poles, cairns or other markings. If only part of the way is trailblazed, only tag the relevant sections. Do not tag trailblazed=* on route relations containing such a way. In route relations, use osmc:symbol=* symbol=* wiki:symbol=* or colour=* to tag the waymarking of the entire route.
- In some quite rare cases it can happens that two or more types of blazing appear on section of the way. In this case dominant blazing should be tagged or simply trailblazed=yes can be used.
- Tag trailblazed=no indicates that blazing is expected, but doesn't exist. This could e.g. be the case in snowy areas where the trail is visible on the ground only in the summer.
- trailblazed:visibility=* tag can be used as additional tag giving information about trail marking visibility
- In the case there will be additional symbol (painted or attached) on pole or cairn the way should be tagged trailblazed=poles or trailblazed=cairns and additional tag can be used osmc:symbol=* symbol=* or wiki:symbol=*. In this case trailblazed=symbols shouldn't be used.
- trailblazed=symbols can be used only if there is no waymarked route tagged with a osmc:symbol=* symbol=* wiki:symbol=* or colour=*. If this condition is met trailblazed=symbols can be used and additional tag can be added osmc:symbol=* symbol=* or wiki:symbol=*
- trailblazed=poles or trailblazed=cairns can be used as combination with waymarked route tagged by a osmc:symbol=* symbol=* wiki:symbol=* colour=*.
|Tag||Description||Picture 1||Picture 2||Definition of marking|
|trailblazed=yes||trail is blazed in some way||Any trail marking which will not fit any definition below.|
|trailblazed=no||trail is not blazed||No trail marking at all.|
|trailblazed=poles||trail is blazed by poles||Trail marking made by erected poles wooden or plastic, colored or natural.|
If poles for example having red crosses on top for better vissibility
|trailblazed=cairns||trail is blazed by cairns||Trail marking made by piled stones. Stones should be piled up in such manner
that there is not doubt they are man made and they are there for navigational reason.
|trailblazed=symbols||trail is blazed by symbols||Trail marking made by colorful symbols painted directly on other objects|
like trees, stones, houses and so on.
||Trail marking made by poles.|
Even there is red cross on top of pole tag it as trailblazed=poles
||Trail marking made by cairns.|
Even there is red color on the cairn I would tag it as trailblazed=cairns
||Trail marking made by symbol defined by osmc:symbol=*|
So it should be tagged as trailblazed=symbols
||Trail marking made by marker attached to the tree|
- The original proposal for this key (Abandoned)
- The proposal to additional values (Approved)
- The proposal for the "Marked trail"-key
- "marked_trail" on taginfo
- Symbol - symbol disambiguation page
- tourism=information + information=trail_blaze (or tourism=information + information=route_marker) - A marker that shows the position of the way. Could be a symbol or a painted marking.
- guidepost=* + marker=* + man_made=cairn - Some additional keys and tags that can be considered when dealing with trail blazing features.