Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Specifying the link to the official website for a feature|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
The website=* tag can be used to provide the full URL to the official website for the related features, be it a building, park railway or anything else.
For small format websites (designed for smaller displays, reduced bandwidth, or mobile touchscreens) one may in addition add website:mobile=*.
Websites URL usually follow this syntax:
http(s)://(www.)domain.tld/(page)(?parameters)(#anchor), where parts in parenthesis may be optional.
https://www.openstreetmap.org/help would be a good website URL. Its format is valid, it's a direct link to the wanted resource and a trustworthy website.
Durability and machine-readability
- Choose simple URLs over complex URLs if they basically point to the same content. For example, use https://bahn.de/ instead of
https://www.bahn.de/p/view/index.shtml, as both will get you to the front page. Websites are frequently redesigned, so strive for the most "robust" URL that works.
- Include the scheme (http or https) explicitly. https://www.openstreetmap.org/, not
- Take care when copying links from a search engine result. Search results URLs hide information about the final destination of the link, and are not meant for permanent linking. A very bad example would be
- Prefer websites at domain names. URLs containing IP addresses tend to get outdated more quickly than URLs at domain names and are far less recognisable. This Sophox query finds websites at IPv4 addresses.
- If the official website is available in multiple languages depending on the URL, link to the version in the locally appropriate language or the language-neutral version. (Some websites automatically redirect to the user's language if you omit a language code from the URL.)
- website=* is only for official websites, not for general weblinks. Use wikipedia=* for Wikipedia articles. Social media profiles are tagged using contact=* keys: contact:mastodon=*, contact:facebook=*, contact:twitter=*, etc. If a social media web presence is the only web presence of the POI (point-of-interest), then some taggers prefer to also list the url using website=* to indicate that no other official website exists. (Do not use bulk edits to "deduplicate" website and contact tags)
Privacy and security
- Use the HTTPS version when available, as it enhances security and privacy for users. E.g.: https://openstreetmap.org/ instead of
- Remove any tracking parameters (
utm_campaign, (and other
igshid etc.). For example, something like http://paris.intersquat.org/les-lieux/le-satellite/?fbclid=de58e340d6aa79a584552a2055042d004b9b19454bc0d7a6046fc81fc90f51 should be replaced by http://paris.intersquat.org/les-lieux/le-satellite/
- This Sophox query detects privacy-invasive tracking identifiers within URLs in several common keys.
- This taginfo listing shows occurrences of "fbclid" in tag values regardless of the key.
- This slower Overpass query is similar to the taginfo listing but takes much longer.
- Never use URL shorteners. URLs such as https://goo.gl/x1fz3h should not be used as they hide the real URL, can contain advertisements or even malware.
An excerpt of some most used tags:
LOADING TAG LIST...
This table lists out documented keys only. They represent some known usage as seen in the wild.
|website:menu=*||URL||Used to link to URL with menu information of e.g. a restaurant|
|website:stock||URL||Used to link to URL with "live" stock information of e.g. a shop or pharmacy|
|website:map||URL||Used to link to external maps e.g. in route relations.|
|website:booking||URL||Used to link to booking website.|
|user defined||URL||All commonly used values according to Taginfo.|
- website:*=* - direct link to a sub-menu (menu, booking)
- contact:*=* - The contact:* namespace with contact:website=* (newest parallel existing tagging scheme, provides same tag arrangement in groups like addr:*=*) (Includes contact:facebook=*, contact:twitter=* etc.)
- url=* - A more general tag. Any URL other than the main official one used in the website=* tag (parallel existing tagging scheme)
- image=* - Reference to an image of the object
- wikipedia=* - Links towards wikipedia articles.
- Proposed features/External links - different tagging ideas
- Keepright (keepright.ipax.at) - validates the content of website tags, ensuring they still match the OSM object.
- tag2link plugin - JOSM plugin that opens external references, e.g. this website key
- RFC 1738 section 2 generic URL syntax
- RFC 1738 section 3.1 common Internet scheme syntax - the definition of the http and https URL schemes base on this
- RFC 1738 section 3.3 The http URL scheme
- RFC 2818 section 2.4 The https URL scheme
- ↑ FB click identifier, tracking part added to links from FB. Presumably used to track source of link and its usage
- ↑ https://developers.google.com/search-ads/v2/how-tos/conversions/
- ↑ https://support.google.com/searchads/answer/6292795?hl=en
- ↑ https://docs.oracle.com/en/cloud/saas/marketing/infinity-user/Help/parameters/data_augmentation/traffic_source_and_search.htm
- ↑ https://github.com/Smile4ever/Neat-URL
- ↑ https://www.bradymoritz.com/igshid-the-new-instagram-click-tracking-id/