- 1 MychOSM - My community and my history in OpenStreetMap
- 2 What are the aims of MychOSM?
- 3 Results and products of the MychOSM project
- 3.1 Our schools in OSM - of course a sustainable result of the project ;-)
- 3.2 Translations
- 3.3 Training papers (English only)
- 3.4 The weekly news from the OSM world: weeklyOSM
- 3.5 Comenius MychOSM as a part of the OpenStreetMap project
- 3.6 Created maps
- 4 Problems and solutions
- 5 Communication and visibility
- 6 Project Management
- 7 How can I apply for a similar project?
MychOSM - My community and my history in OpenStreetMap
|Part of the team in Kingston upon Hull, UK
Meeting in Kingston upon Hull:
Mapping, [[ES:MychOSM/A Guarda#Nuestras traduciones|Translating], and produce weeklyOSM
|Students from four countries came together for a Comenius school project MychOSM preparing field research on historical and geographical sites. This A0 print of OpenStreetMap was made using Mapwebbing.||Students on top of Monte Santa Trega|
a "Nacional Vértice Geodésico"
most of them with OSMTracker ;-)
What are the aims of MychOSM?
- To ensure that the OSM maps in the regions of the participating schools are up to date. If not, the students will track new routes and introduce the necessary POIs;
- To map historical monuments, and in Germany especially, Stolpersteine;
- To improve the database, produce related services (routing, historic maps) and make it available in all participating countries using Web 2.0 technology;
- To organise the technical content so that it can be put onto the communities’ websites, and so that the political and social dimension of these new techniques can be readily discussed.
Results and products of the MychOSM project
Our schools in OSM - of course a sustainable result of the project ;-)
Historic Place Map
The Historic Place site (formerly known as Historical Objects) is available in Spanish, Turkish, Galician, Romanian, thanks to Comenius MychOSM.
|You miss your language: contact the Historic Place map team|
The results below ... and ... the Historic Place map team says thank you to the students from MychOSM. :-)
Training papers (English only)
|.pdf to print as it is||.odt, .odp adapt the paper to your needs and print your own version||Remarks|
|Using Turbo Overpass API||Example: all schools in Hull - and with the Wizard: all Stolpersteine in Germany|
|Quality assurance - how to discover errors|
|Keys and Values cheating paper|
|Mapping for Tourism|
|Mapping for Humanitarian OSM Team||the HOT Task Manager http://tasks.hotosm.org/
help to translate the tasking manager:
|HowTo's for weeklyOSM|
The weekly news from the OSM world: weeklyOSM
My community and my history in OpenStreetMap will also contribute to this blog, from which various messages from the OSM world are publicised to a wider audience. The main source of all our news is translated from the German-language “Wochennotiz“. Our blog has received considerable positive and encouraging feedback from the community; the best response has been from Satoshi IIDA a Japanese mapper, who has offered to translate the weekly OSM messages into Japanese. Now, we are proud to have also a French and Czech version. A version in Bahasa Indonesia and Portugues do Brasil complete the additional translations available until the end of the Comenius project; weeklyOSM will be continued with the support of the OSM community.
The project developed the infrastructure for weeklyOSM using Wordpress to host the Blog. Twitter and various mailing lists were used to disseminate information. Effective communication was achieved throught eh use of mailing lists, accounts on Rizzonma and , more recently, Slack.com.
- Read more about the WeeklyOSM spin-off
- Want to join the team? Write an email to: theweeklyosm at gmail dot com
Examples of weeklyOSM tweets in English and Spanish
- The weekly issue # XXX, now available in English, a summary of all things happening in the #openstreetmap #osm world http://www.weeklyosm.eu
- El semanario Nº XXX de OSM en español está online, como siempre con todo lo referente al mundo #openstreetmap #osm http://www.weeklyosm.eu/es
- Follow us on Twitter
Comenius MychOSM as a part of the OpenStreetMap project
|.pdf zum Ausdrucken|
|To enlarge, click on the MindMap to get the original .pdf|
|Information for a meeting in Saarburg|
|. . . .||* Hotel-Train-Station-School in Saarburg|
|* Touristic Highlights - Saar - Obermosel|
|Touristic Places in ...|
|* A Guarda|
|* Kingston upon Hull|
|* Hull - City of Culture 2017 Venues and Attractions|
|* Via Cruzis in A Guarda, Galicia, Spain - in Waymarkedtrails.org and Historic Place|
|* AleTrail and Fishtrail in Kingston upon Hull, UK - Waymarkedtrails.org|
Problems and solutions
Seven, Three, Four, Five
|We wrote the application (including objectives, work plan and timetable) with seven partners. Unfortunately, only three partners were approved. The three successful applicants invited another partner experienced in OSM and customized the objectives and rewrote the work plan and timetable. Nearly half a year after the start of the project it was necessary to incorporate an inexperienced partner. That meant customising objectives and rewriting the workplan and timetable again.|
|To have an other experienced partner on board, the three approved partners welcomed the school from Romania.|
See the partners on the map: We are Partners
|Half a year after the project started, on February 17 2014, our Turkish partner was approved.|
... See on this map zoomable map where all schools are located exactly
Solution: We customised the objectives and rewrote the workplan and the timetable twice.
Mapping archeological sites - Castro de Santa Trega
- How to do it?
(Zecke a member of the community had the answer for us: )
Was mir in Trier nicht gefällt: Die Kaiserthermen sind komplett als ein Gebäude erfasst, ob wohl es ja eher ein Ansammlung von Mauern, Ruinen und erhaltenen Gewölben ist mit viel Rasen dazwischen. Da würde ich die Objekte eher einzeln erfassen und mit einer heritage-Relation zu den Kaiserthermen zusammenfassen. barrier=wall ist nun eine echte Zusatzinformation, die im ersten Beispiel gar nicht vorkommt. Ansonsten sind historic=ruins und ruins=yes beides valide Taggings. Wenn der Ruinenaspekt im Vordergrund steht, vielleicht eher letzteres, wenn dir eigentliche Funktion des Objekts im Vordergrund stehen soll, ruins lieber als Attribut, ebenso historic. Ansonsten gilt aber auch, je detaillierter, desto besser. Wenn man also genauer weiß, was für ein Gebäude es war, z.B. building=church; ruins=yes; historic=yes.
Communication and visibility
The project in the media
- Volksfreund Trier: Schüler bannen Geschichte auf Karten
- Sprachbarrieren und Ländergrenzen mit OpenStreetMap überwinden Interview
- Overcoming language barriers with OpenStreetMap Interview
- Wochennotiz (in German) interviewed the Team
- Volksfreund Trier: Mapping Santa Trega
- Volksfreund Trier: Schüler kartieren Saarburg
- one from UK missing
- Miño - Alumnos de Turquia, Alemania e Gran Bretaña visitan A Guarda
- Conference about MychOSM in A Guarda
- Every week a tweet - in each language ;-)
- Tweets from partners as well
- The Facebook site of A Sangriña
|Talk in A Guarda||OSM meeting November 2013 Saarburg
Signing a Cooperation Contract with Romanian Partner
|left: developing/customizing weeklyOSM|
right: Translation of Historc Map into Spanish and Galego
Images of the Week
We used Life Long Learning Mapping roject#Tools for project management the same tools for our project management as the BoostOSM project.
As we had to completely re-organise the project several times we had a meeting of the steering committee only in November 2013 in Germany.
How can I apply for a similar project?
For more information about Comenius (now Erasmus +) projects in general, please contact your "National Agency" in your country.
- Spain: - Servicio Español para la Internacionalización de la Educación (SEPIE) and AGENCIA NACIONAL ESPAÑOLA DE LA JUVENTUD (INJUVE)
- Turkey: - Avrupa Birligi Bakanligi ve Avrupa Birligi Egitim ve Genclik Programlari Merkezi Baskanligi
- Germany: - Pädagogischer Austauschdienst der Kultusministerkonferenz, Nationale Agentur für EU-Programme im Schulbereich
- United Kingdom: - British Council, in partnership with Ecorys UK
- Romania: - Agentia Nationala pentru Programe Comunitare in Domeniul Educatiei si Formarii Profesionale