Nepal/Mapping Party Guidelines
While traveling in around the streets during Mapping parties, a lot of information could be collected for OSM. A full list of tags are on Map Features. This page gives a brief introduction of what tags are and a subset of tags that can be focused on during parties.
The following basic elements are used to create data in OSM
- Node: A node is a point of interest (POI). It is a single point which could represent a shop, restaurant, a traffic light, etc.
- Way: Ways are formed when multiple points are created together to form a line or a closed area polygon. Ways as lines are used to represent roads: major roads, minor roads, gallis, tracks, etc as well as water ways. Ways as areas could be used for markig house shape, parks, gardens, durbar squares, etc.
- Relations: Relations are a bit complex, ie, they are combination of ways and nodes to give a logical meaning to them. Example, a Bhaktapur Durbar Square is a relation which could contain different ways for temples, roads, etc and nodes that represent local shops, stone taps, etc.
Each of the three basic elements are described even more by tags.
Example for a node that represent BirHospital, these tags could be used
Similarly, a way that represents DurbarMarg, one of the major roads in the city can be written like this
Click on following for more information on what and how to tag:
- Nepal/Roads explains how to tag Roads in Nepal
- Nepal/Common_tags lists a bunch of frequently used tags in Nepalese context.
Format of Mapping Party
The schedule of mapping party can take several forms. Among the different forms, following is the one :
- Introduction (Program, Participation, Mapping)
- Installation and account creation
- Field Visit
Apps on Android
Following listed are some apps for android that are used for the mapping party.
Quick tips during mapping
Section needs contribution
Connect with the Nepal OSM Community
- WikiProject Nepal on OSM https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_Nepal
- Visit the Nepal OSM Website: http://www.osmnepal.org (dead link)
- Join the Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/mapkathmandu
- Register for the Email List: http://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-np