|Proposal status:||Abandoned (inactive)|
The current tagging scheme as stated on key:cycleway seems insufficient to me. There is no way to define different types of cycleways on different sides of the street, nor is it possible to define a sidewalk that is both a designated cycleway and a footway.
First define what ways a street has:
- path=left, path=right, path=both or path=none to define a path without pre-set attributes, usually if it's both a footway and a cycleway
- cycleway=left, cycleway=right, cycleway=both or cycleway=none for a cycleway
- footway=left, footway=right, footway=both or footway=none for a footway (as proposed in Proposed features/Footway)
Then, if necessary (especially for path=*), describe the ways more closely:
- path.foot=designated to make it a designated footway, or just path.foot=yes to allow pedestrians
- path.bicycle=designated to make it a designated cycleway, or just path.bicycle=yes to allow bicycles
- path.x=* any other properties that might be applicable for a path (such as other access restrictions, surface, ..)
If you defined the both value for one of the keys above, you can also address one side directly:
- path:left.foot=designated to only make the left-hand way a designated footway (depending on the direction of the way)
- path:left.bicycle=designated to also allow bicycles
- path:left.bicycle=segregated to make it a foot/cycleway that is sperated by a painted line
The properties are defined as proposed in Proposed features/Properties for Tags.
|There's a normal sidewalk on the right side of the street and a line-seperated foot/cycleway on the left side. Since they share the same way (even if segregated, but only by a painted line), they are tagged as one.|
|There is a footway on both sides of the street, but also a lane for cyclists on the right side. Since the lane and the footway are on different parts of the road (seperated by the kerb), also a seperate tag is used.|
|Mixed cycleway/footway on the left side, cyclelane and footway on the right side.|
Please use the talk page for discussion.