|amenity = food_sharing|
|A shelf/box/fridge where people drop off and pick up food to reduce food waste and in the sense of free sharing.|
|Used on these elements|
|Tools for this tag|
A food sharing is a place where people drop off and pick up food to reduce food waste and in the sense of free sharing. Usually this place is a small box, shelf or fridge. In most cases these are surplus, leftover or not suitable for sale perishables or products that have exceeded their best-before date but still are well eatable. There are no persons present who directly distribute the food or control who is given or taken food.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foodsharing.de, https://foodsharing.de/
How to map
Usually a food_sharing is about sharing perishables to reduce food waste, many have a fridge. If you found something that has multiple kind of items like nonperishables eg. food cans, personal hygiene products and other items and no fridge to cold food. You can use amenity=give_box to document it.
- social_facility=food_bank - For a place you can take food, but not give. Usually for homeless or underprivileged.
- social_facility=soup_kitchen - For a place you can take prepared meals, but not give. Usually for homeless or underprivileged.
- amenity=recycling + recycling:green_waste=yes or amenity=recycling + recycling:organic=yes - For a place you can give organic matters/food waste that are recycled into biogas or compost.
- amenity=recycling + recycling:food=* – this tag combination has probably also been used for food sharing facilities, however, reusing and recycling (i.e. the conversion of waste materials into new materials and objects) are two different concepts
- amenity=public_refrigerator – this tag has been used a few times (see TagInfo) for public fridges (community fridges)
- amenity=give_box – a give box: a small facility where people drop off and pick up various types of items in the sense of free sharing and reuse
- Priceless Map A map showing food sharing places. The map is based on OSM data.