Proposed features/food sharing
|Proposal status:||Proposed (under way)|
|Definition:||A shelf/box/fridge where people drop off and pick up food to reduce food waste and in the sense of free sharing.|
A food sharing is a place where people drop off and pick up food to reduce food waste and in the sense of free sharing. Usually this place is a small box, shelf or fridge. In most cases these are surplus, leftover or not suitable for sale perishables or products that have exceeded their best-before date but still are well eatable. There are no persons present who directly distribute the food or control who is given or taken food.
Sometimes those are run inside a building, such as the entrance area of a community centre, apartment building or other leisure activity places, and the operator of those facilities is the host.
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foodsharing.de, https://foodsharing.de/
Translation in other languages and synonyms
- English: Community fridge
- German: Fair-Teiler, Food-saver-Regal und -Kühlschrank, Essenstauschbox
- French: Frigo solidaire, Frigo communautaire
- Latvian: Kopienas skapis
- Poland: lodówka społeczna, jadłodzielnia
- foodsharing.de ~755
- OpenStreetMap Overpass ~85
- Les Frigos Solidaires ~30
- Madame Frigo ~25
- RestEssBar ~15
This proposal is for a new amenity tag:
Other existing tags could be used in combination:
|access=*||Implies access=yes. Optional use access=permissive or access=customers|
|name=*||Optional. If the facility has a name.|
|description=*||Optional. Add details on how to find easily the facility.|
|fridge=*||Optional. Add fridge=yes if there is a refrigerator at the facility. Use fridge=only if there is only a refrigerator at the facility and no space to place non-refrigerated products.|
|opening_hours=*||Optional. If the facility is in a shop, cafe etc. Can be an important information.|
|network=*, brand=*||Optional. Name of the network or brand of the facility if there is one visible. eg. Madame Frigo, you can also add more information about the network=* or brand=* with tags like network:wikidata=*, network:wikipedia=*, network:website=*, network:facebook=* or brand:wikidata=*, brand:wikipedia=*, brand:website=*, brand:facebook=* eg. network=Foodsharing e.V. + network:wikidata=Q15809935 + network:facebook=https://facebook.com/foodsharing.de|
|operator=*||Optional. Name of the operator, for example a restaurant that provides the facility within its walls.|
|location=*, indoor=*||Optional. Use location=indoor or indoor=yes if the facility is inside a building.|
|website=*, contact:website=*||Optional. The official website of the related facility, if one exists. For a general network facebook website you can use network:website=* or brand:website=*|
|facebook=*, contact:facebook=*||Optional. The official facebook page of the related facility, if one exists. For a general network facebook website you can use network:facebook=* or brand:facebook=*|
|ref=*||Optional. If the facility has a reference number|
|wheelchair=*||Optional. Please add this attribute cause a lot of facility do not have wheelchair access.|
|lit=*||Optional. Add this tag if the facility is lit.|
|covered=*||Optional. Use covered=yes for covered facilities.|
Checkout contact=* for more contact tags. Note: Sometimes there is a contact/channel (website, messenger group) to inform the recipients about new food in the facility.
Usually a food_sharing is about sharing perishables to reduce food waste, many have a fridge. If you found something that has multiple kind of items like nonperishables eg. food cans, personal hygiene products and other items and no fridge to cold food. You can use amenity=give_box to document it.
- social_facility=food_bank - For a place you can take food, but not give. Usually for homeless or underprivileged.
- social_facility=soup_kitchen - For a place you can take prepared meals, but not give. Usually for homeless or underprivileged.
- amenity=recycling + recycling:green_waste=yes or amenity=recycling + recycling:organic=yes - For a place you can give organic matters/food waste that are recycled into biogas or compost.
- Tag:amenity=recycling - The description «community fridge to help reduce food waste» by recycling:food=* will be changed to «For food sharing to reduce food waste use amenity=food_sharing».
- Tag:amenity=give_box - Update the description to include food and exclude perishable food.
- forum.openstreetmap.org - Foodsharing in German
- forum.openstreetmap.org - Wie tagt man Foodsharing? in German
- Tagging mailing list - Public refrigerators
Please comment on the discussion page.