|amenity = telephone|
|A public telephone|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
A public telephone.
A phone box, or telephone on a stand or wall. Usually you pay to use them, often only via a pre-pay card.
The phone amenity may be indoors inside some other amenity e.g. in a hospital, but the tag indicates a "public" telephone, available as an amenity for the public to use (so not the receptionists' telephone in a hospital)
How to map
Tags to use in combination
- phone=+49 123 456789 - To tag the phone number which can be used to call this phone.
- postal_code=* - Phone boxes do have postcodes in some countries.
- operator=* - Company or government agency who operates/maintains the phone.
- operator:wikidata=* - Wikidata ID for the company or government agency that operates the phone. Useful for machines to parse who exactly is the operator.
- operator:phone=* - A contact number for the operator/maintainer of the phone.
- ref=* - Some phones have an additional number to identify the location.
- internet_access=yes/no - Does the phone allow internet surfing or sending e-mails?
- internet_access=wlan - If the phone provides a wireless (Wi-Fi) hotspot that can be used by other devices.
- video=yes/no - Does the phone allow video calls?
- sms=yes/no - Does the phone allow sending texts/SMS (Short Messaging Service).
- covered=yes/no/booth - Is the phone somehow protected against the elements or is it a booth with door?
- indoor=yes/no - Inside a building (thus potentially locked at odd hours or in emergencies)?
- booth=K2/K6 - Records the type of telephone booth; e.g., types of red telephone box.
- wheelchair=yes/no - Is the phone lowered?
- Payment tags
- fee=no - For phones which can be used free of charge.
- currency:XXX=yes - For each currency accepted.
- payment:coins=yes/no - Can you pay with coins.
- payment:credit_cards=yes/no - Can you pay by credit card.
- payment:reverse_charge_calls=yes/no - to show whether reverse charge calls are possible. These are calls for which the called party pays (with their prior consent by pressing one or more keys). This service can be used especially when people don't have coins or phone cards with them. On the one hand, it can be offered by the operator of the public telephone itself, but there are also external providers (the German Yoo R-Call for example). So if 0800 numbers can be dialed from the public telephone generally, the tag should be added, even if the service is often limited to reaching landline connections only.
- emergency=phone - for public emergency telephones. Phones which are more intended for, or only work for, calling the emergency services, e.g. those provided on motorways