|bicycle = designated|
|Roads and other objects designated/signed to use for cyclists|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: de facto|
|Tools for this tag|
bicycle=designated is applied where cycling is not only legal, but object is explicitly designated for use by cyclists. Note that in many cases it is not necessary to tag it explicitly as it is implied by highway=cycleway or tags such as cycleway:both=lane.
Note that signed bicycle route is not something that makes road explicitly designated for use by cyclists and there are cycleways without any signed bicycle route.
- segregated footway and cycleway tagged on one way highway=path + bicycle=designated + foot=designated + segregated=yes
- not segregated footway and cycleway tagged on one way highway=path + bicycle=designated + foot=designated + segregated=no
Related cases where this tag is not applicable
- cycleway highway=cycleway (there is no need to tag bicycle=designated) explicitly)
- cycleway where walking is legal: highway=cycleway + foot=yes (there is no need to tag bicycle=designated) explicitly)
- residential road where cycling is legal: highway=residential - not tagged explicitly as it is obvious (adding vehicle=yes also would be pointless)
- footway where cycling is legal, without making it a combined footway + cycleway: highway=footway + bicycle=yes
- pedestrian road where cycling is legal: highway=pedestrian + bicycle=yes
- service road where cycling is legal and other vehicles are limited to residents: highway=service + vehicle=private + bicycle=yes (bicycle=yes overrides vehicle=private)