|bicycle = dismount|
|indicates that riding bicycle is not allowed, but pushing bicycle is allowed. bicycle=no on objects allowing foot traffic is commonly used to express this.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
Objects where both cycling and walking (foot=no + bicycle=no) such as typical motorway are not problematic, as dismounting and walking while pushing bicycle is clearly not OK. But there is no standard way to indicate few places where you are not allowed to cycle, you are not allowed to enter with bicycle and walking (without bicycle) is perfectly fine.
Note that while roads/footways completely banning even pushing bicycles are quite rare compared to ones where just cycling is not allowed, bicycle=no is far more popular. It is used over 942 000 times together with highway=* while bicycle=dismount just 73 000 times. It indicates that majority of mappers is using bicycle=no to indicate places where pushing bicycle is OK.
Even if someone is using bicycle=no with intention to state that pushing/carrying bicycle there is forbidden it is impossible to distinguish bicycle=no mapped with meaning "no cycling" and "no presence of bicycles is allowed". It makes this two tags a de facto equivalent.
As of 2020 "dismount" value is supported by iD while not supported by JOSM. OSRM includes ways tagged with bicycle=dismount in cycling routes but indicates that bike-pushing is required. (Some versions of OSRM similarly recommend pushing a bike against the flow of traffic along a one-way street.)
bicycle=dismount appeared and was used without consideration that it de facto duplicates older bicycle=no. This attempt to redefine bicycle=no from "bicycling is forbidden" to "bicycling and pushing bicycle is forbidden" was not succesfull.
Standard opposition to deprecation/redefining of major tags is present.
In addition not that as use of bicycle=no for "no cycling is allowed" is very widespread, mappers would need to resurvey all locations where it is used. To track such resurvey some dedicated tag would be needed to mark whatever bicycle=no is used for "no cycling allowed" or "no bicycle pushing allowed".
And at that point it is easier to simple have a new tag for rare "no bicycle at all in addition to forbidding cycling".
- Rejection from JOSM presets
- "Usefulness of bicycle=dismount on ways"
- Tagging mailing list - Is there a good way to indicate "pushing bicycle not allowed here"?
- historic part of Venice and Nymphenburg Schlosspark in Germany, many subway systems
- See usage comparison: http://taghistory.raifer.tech/#***/bicycle/no&***/bicycle/dismount bicycle=dismount reached 100 uses on way on day 2009-08-27. On that date bicycle=no was used 46 681 times on ways, with usage increased by 163 just on that day - see http://taghistory.raifer.tech/way/bicycle/dismount and http://taghistory.raifer.tech/way/bicycle/no