|building = bridge|
|A building used as a bridge.|
|Rendering in OSM Carto|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
A building used as a bridge (skyway on Wikipedia). Can also represent a gatehouse for drawbridges. building=bridge is a special case of man_made=bridge and inherits all properties of the latter.
When not to use
Do not use this tag just for marking bridges (their outlines). For such purposes use man_made=bridge.
Do not use this tag when the buildings are built merely on the bridge, i.e. can be removed (example: Ponte_Vecchio).
How to map
Draw the area of the object, tag with building=bridge and apply layer=* to the structure (typically layer=1).
Ways using such bridges should be probably mapped by indoor mapping methods, possible approach would be:
- ways should share nodes with building where they cross the outline of it
- ways should have the same layer as the overall building=bridge structure
- ways may have a level=* assigned (indicating level within building)
- ways may be tagged with some variant of covered=* or tunnel=building_passage or indoor=*
- ways may be tagged with location=bridge
- ways should have at least one of covered=*, location=* or bridge=* tags.
It is also possible that the area of the building and of the bridge are not identical or multiple buildings and other objects are on a bridge, in this case the building and other objects should have the same layer as the bridge object and be tagged with location=bridge
More complex examples might also use a bridge relation
See Proposed features/Simplify man made=bridge mapping for related thoughts.