|bus = no|
|Specifies no legal access for public transport buses, OR that buses do not stop here.|
|Used on these elements|
|Status: in use|
|Tools for this tag|
A bus is a large motor vehicle used for public transport of passengers.
In most countries a bus is a larger public service vehicle or public transport vehicle used to transport passengers, with more than 9 or 12 seating positions, but the specific definition may vary by location. Long-distance and inter-city bus and coach=* vehicles may or may not be included. Trolleybuses are usually included.
There are two uses of this tag: 1) to specify legal access restrictions for buses. 2) to specify the type of passenger public transport vehicle that uses a stop or station.
Also see the more common access tag psv=* which includes public transport buses as well as other public service vehicles.
bus=* (a bus acting as a public service vehicle)
For values see access=*.
How to map
As an access tag
Add this tag to roads, lanes, parking lots or other features which do not allow public transport buses.
- the original use of bus=*, since mid-2009, is as an Access tag, with values such as yes, designated and no
- Add bus=no to a feature where access by public transport buses is prohibited.
- See Access for other possible values
To specify the use of a public transport bus stop or platform
- Since 2011, some mappers have used bus=no with public_transport=platform or public_transport=stop_position to specify that buses do not stop at the feature.
- The Public Transport proposal in 2011 approved using bus=yes with public_transport=stop_position on a node on the highway=* way to show where a bus stops on the street. It was also mentioned that bus=no might be used with public_transport=stop_position.
- This is mainly useful to specify that buses do not stop at a bus stop or stop position where they might be expected to stop - for example, on a road shared by trams and buses.
- Also see trolleybus=yes/no which is used in this way, but specifically for electric buses powered by electric overhead wires.
- access=* - general access restrictions
- psv=* - common tag for all public transport motor vehicles, including minibuses, buses, and possibly shared taxis and taxis.
- trolleybus=* - specific tag for trolleybuses.
- tourist_bus=* - less common access tag for buses which are not public-transport buses.
- coach=* - uncommon access tag for long-distance buses, usually between different towns or cities
- lanes:psv=* - to mark the travel lanes reserved for all PSV on a way.
- lanes:bus=* - to mark the travel lanes reserved for buses only on a way.
- oneway:psv=* - to override oneway=* for PSV vehicles
- oneway:bus=* - to override oneway=* for buses only